For a bassist in a deathcore/metalcore band how do you play with the other guitars they tune to drop b does the bass have to tune down too?
or what?
PROG Head
Deathcore Head
Death Tech Metal Head
Shred Head
Jazz Head

Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

no... i think it would bee easier, but as long as your notes is harmonic with the other guitars your all good... oh by the way, many metal riffs play the open d from time to time. so i think you should drop your d as well.
A lot of metal bassists use 5-strings with a low B, so that they don't have to drop tune. Others setup their basses to be tune BEAD, instead of buying a new bass.
You generally want to follow the guitars.
Ha, just noticed the OP said drop b, not drop d.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Last edited by InuPhoenix at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by InuPhoenix
You generally want to follow the guitars. Is this for a 4 or 5 string? Your only tuning down the E so you get GDAD for a 4 string, or just add that 5th string bass in. Your not referring to D standard here are you?

Wat?

Quote by Ruunee
no... i think it would bee easier, but as long as your notes is harmonic with the other guitars your all good... oh by the way, many metal riffs play the open d from time to time. so i think you should drop your d as well.

Double wat?

If you've got a 5 string, leave it as it is. If you've got a four, take it down to BEAD, that would probably be easiest.

Alternatively, BF#BE for a 4 and BF#BEG# for a 5.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i need drop b for a four string but the stringz are too floppy now
PROG Head
Deathcore Head
Death Tech Metal Head
Shred Head
Jazz Head

Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

I don't like drop tunings on bass (BF#BE), if it were me I'd go BEAD. You'll want some nice fat strings.
My guitarist is tuned DGCFAD. I play a 6 string tuned to GDGCF[Bflat]. I'm the same for the center 4. My high C is tuned down 2 half steps and my low B is tuned down 4 half steps.

I'm in Drop G from D standard for 6 string bass [everything down 2 half steps except low be down 4] So I basically tune the same way my guitarist does. Really only worry about the center 4 strings being in tune. Unless your guitarists are tuning to low B in which case just leave it in Standard for 5 string bass.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Hm, don't flame me or anything, I don't play death metal, or any metal actually. But, couldn't you play just a higher octave of the chord the guitarist is playing, rather than drop tuning? I mean, if the guitar plays a Bb, couldn't you play a Bb on the E or A string?
Or is it really THAT noticeable?
Quote by brentonkim
Hm, don't flame me or anything, I don't play death metal, or any metal actually. But, couldn't you play just a higher octave of the chord the guitarist is playing, rather than drop tuning? I mean, if the guitar plays a Bb, couldn't you play a Bb on the E or A string?

A lot of the time it really is THAT noticeable because you'll sometimes be playing in the same octave that the guitar is playing which makes it hard to distinguish who's playing what. Playing in a lower octave adds quite a bit of body to the song which works quite well for heavy sounding metal.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by brentonkim

It's a "deathcore" band (whatever that means) and he's looking for a way to do exactly what the guitar is doing. You're absolutely right, he doesn't have to worry about anything he does being noticeable because no one is going to ever hear him in the first place .

Seriously though TS, go get a set of strings with a gauge appropriate for BEAD and go to town with that.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Victory2134
A lot of the time it really is THAT noticeable because you'll sometimes be playing in the same octave that the guitar is playing which makes it hard to distinguish who's playing what. Playing in a lower octave adds quite a bit of body to the song which works quite well for heavy sounding metal.

But wouldn't down tuning your bass make it similar to the frequencies of the bass drum? And if a person can't distinguish the sound of a guitar down tuned and a bass, they seem to have some problems.
My guitarist plays in D,A,D,G,B,E but I play in A,D,G,C,F,Bb on a six string. I just prefer the feel of standard to drop tunings.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Hi,
I am new to this so want to know something.I know you can play guitar through the guitar head into a bass amp,But what's the possibility of the bass damaging the head?Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
If you're using bass speakers it's fine. If you're using guitar speakers, it's gonna break them.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I tune BF#BE on a 4 string. I have a dedicated bass for low tunings though and another I use for standard and drop D tunings.
But wouldn't down tuning your bass make it similar to the frequencies of the bass drum? And if a person can't distinguish the sound of a guitar down tuned and a bass, they seem to have some problems.

That's where your EQs come in play and you Hi and Lo mids (your most important range and the one the human ear naturally atunes to). Do some searching on this, there's already a lot of info out there.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Quote by InuPhoenix
That's where your EQs come in play and you Hi and Lo mids (your most important range and the one the human ear naturally atunes to). Do some searching on this, there's already a lot of info out there.

Then why can't you just adjust your EQ to sound different a guitar downtuned that low, which brings back the original question, why can't you just play the octaves.
Last edited by brentonkim at Jan 8, 2010,
The bass guitar is just traditionally tuned a octave below guitars and ... im sure other stringed instruments but im just not that knowledgeable. Why not keep it that way if you can? Also, maybe its desired to make the music they play sound heavier.

You can go for the rotosound drop zone strings or a five string pack for the low B and just discard the G string, you'll want at least a .125 for the B. Choose if you want to tune in fourths (B E A D) or along with your guitarists for B F# B E. Anyone who has played like ... a lamb of god song and then tried to play it in D standard (D G C F) can and should tell you that the note fingerings are much easier to deal with when your using the drop D tuning.

Also, you can totally hear a low B .. you can hear a F# its not difficult. You'll just find that a great deal of metal bands have the bass tracks heavily mixed out which is the problem. Shame that, some core bands have fantastic guitarists and lack a bassist that can compliment that.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
There are some who tune to the same octave as the guitars (Dick Lovgren of Meshuggah being a kickass example) but this is uncommon and the sound I think you're going for is an octave below.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright