Hey there,

I was itching for something to breathe new life into my acoustic guitar, and I think I've found it. A friend suggested an open tuning, so I tuned my guitar to the open Gmaj chord. To make it simpler to play minor chords, I've also tuned the B down half a step.

The tuning goes as follows, low to high

D-G-D-G-Bb-D

I rather like this, its an entirely new concept to me and I enjoy the ease of use. I've yet to fully explore this, but I have just one issue with it so far- the low D string. I find that when including it in a chord, it creates too much of a low rumble and excessive doubling-up of that note because of the 2 other D's.

So my point- is it plausable to remove or mute (with a strip of cloth or something) that low D string and play it as a 5-string in cross-G tuning?

I apologise if this is somewhat long-winded or far-fetched
Quote by Babbs
ever heard of keith richards?

I THINK he's the guitarist from the Rolling Stones. I've never listened to them so I'm likely wrong.

Does he use this tuning?
he uses open g, but he took the lowest string off his guitar, so it only has five strings.
I see, that's much like what I'm thinking of doing. My only concern is upsetting the tension and damaging the neck by doing so
I'll have to try this. If you're not doing it for an extended period of time, I don't think the string off will be a big deal. I could be wrong but its probably about the same as having an acoustic tuned a step down, and I always have an acoustic tuned like that.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I see, that's much like what I'm thinking of doing. My only concern is upsetting the tension and damaging the neck by doing so

It's no more damaging that you tuning to Open G. So... it isn't. Necks can't be damaged so easily. That's just a myth.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Just mute it with your left hand?

Use more open voicings (fifths as opposed to thirds) to avoid a muddy sound?
Just to clarify, I intend taking the lowest string off. It's not the tuning I worry that will affect the neck but the removal of that string