Hey guys, my buddy is insistent that six strings are useless and only for guys who like to show off. And claims there isnt one death metal band that uses the high C. Could you guys provide me some metal bands(preferably death) that use the high C on a six string bass?
john myung-dream theatre (not death metal)
stephan fimmers- necrophaghist

one of the bassists from nile uses one occasionally, i think. im sure i saw him use one in a live video. also, i think the faceless bassist uses one, on occasions.

your buddy sounds very close minded, the high C is often used for runs and stuff, without skipping all over the neck. its the same as the low B, many bassists prefer to keep their hand in one position, so the B comes in handy.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
john myung-dream theatre (not death metal)
stephan fimmers- necrophaghist

one of the bassists from nile uses one occasionally, i think. im sure i saw him use one in a live video. also, i think the faceless bassist uses one, on occasions.

your buddy sounds very close minded, the high C is often used for runs and stuff, without skipping all over the neck. its the same as the low B, many bassists prefer to keep their hand in one position, so the B comes in handy.

Yes he is VERY close minded/kinda dull, I just said sure whatever your right cus you listen to death metal and know it all, and stopped arguing because it was just pissing me off. I tried to explain that its also a comfort thing but he just said none of the famous/successful death metal bands use six strings and went on a rant about how only good death metal bass uses the E and A strings.

Ether way thanks for the bands listed so far. =D
I use a 6 string and I love the 6th string. I use it for tapping riffs and I generally use it to make octaves to my guitarist when we need it. Plus I think 6 strings are more comfortable to play then 5's. I like the wide neck. I play progressive hardcore death metal, but yeah, look at Brain Drill and Necrophagist, I think Beneath The Massacre uses one for recording.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I used to have a 6 string, and Id only use the high C for chordal work, but I dont care much for the string, it usually gets in the way of my slap/pop and my octaves. :\
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
6 strings are kind of ridiculously unnecessary, at least adding a Lower string has some more uses, because that way you could play songs that are in Drop B, B standard, Drop D and E standard rather easily, but adding the high C string has little to no implications on bass, unless your a show off.
Quote by Uber Man
6 strings are kind of ridiculously unnecessary, at least adding a Lower string has some more uses, because that way you could play songs that are in Drop B, B standard, Drop D and E standard rather easily, but adding the high C string has little to no implications on bass, unless your a show off.

...a show off

How?

How does convenience or preference make you a show off AT ALL?

you're an idiot
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
...a show off

How?

How does convenience or preference make you a show off AT ALL?

you're an idiot

I agree. I mean, really. If you use it to make your music better, and make the kind of sounds you want, then hey, how does that make you a show off. What the hell is a guitar solo other then a giant show off section. I use mine in SCALES and for OCTAVES that my guitarist NEEDS to make our lack of a RHYTHM guitarist made up for by my extra string. I mean, I use it in chordal work, but I use it in songs a lot. It's incredibly helpful, and I'm not a show off with it. I tap with my guitarist, so it adds an extra voice behind his, to make our playing sound better to our audience.

so no it's not useless unless your a show off.

Check and Mother f****** mate!
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Why do you need four strings? Couldn't you just be extra br00t4lz and use only 1? Isn't everyone with a four string a show off?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright