Hey guys up here is prob gonna be one of the last songs on my concept album. This has been going back as far as the summer and im going to re-record/record all the songs written and get some vocals on them. I took a break from the album for a while and now im gonna embark on the recording/production side anyways. Heres a cut of the song, and all I'll prob be doing is re-recording the guitars and bass to be super tight. Anyways tell me what you think song wise and production wise. If I think I can provide the quality I'd really like to open my home studio for local bands, cheap. anyways enjoy and ask any questions you have. C4C
EDIT: forgot the link......
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=971601&songID=8580678
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Jan 7, 2010,
Sounds good. I like the riffs especially in the intro. Production wise, and take it as observation, not offense, it sounds like you are relying on gain to add thickness rather than bass. The gain on the guitars, in my opinion, is a little too heavy. The bass will thicken the sound and provide a strong metal tone if mixed right. Too much gain just muds up the sound quality. Hope that helps in some way.
Quote by SawGuru
Sounds good. I like the riffs especially in the intro. Production wise, and take it as observation, not offense, it sounds like you are relying on gain to add thickness rather than bass. The gain on the guitars, in my opinion, is a little too heavy. The bass will thicken the sound and provide a strong metal tone if mixed right. Too much gain just muds up the sound quality. Hope that helps in some way.

Haha the guitars have very litte gain (i.e. at only 50%), but the bass has some gain which probably adds to it. The bass is actually a huge part of the song, If i took it away it would sound REALLY weak. I should probably cut down on the gian for the bass, as they may be doing some muddying up. thanks for the crit though.
The intro riffs are badass. Hell, all the riffs are pretty sweet, lol. The riff that starts around 2:00 sounds like it goes on forever, but the riff that kicks in after makes it worth the wait, lol. I like what you did with the leads, very original sounding (to me at least).

The bass distortion could be brought down a tad, but considering your name is "Metal Bass" I was expecting heavy bass lines with a decent amount of gain.

Also, I redid the intro solo of Myst if you want to check it out. =P
Quote by xHellbound
The intro riffs are badass. Hell, all the riffs are pretty sweet, lol. The riff that starts around 2:00 sounds like it goes on forever, but the riff that kicks in after makes it worth the wait, lol. I like what you did with the leads, very original sounding (to me at least).

The bass distortion could be brought down a tad, but considering your name is "Metal Bass" I was expecting heavy bass lines with a decent amount of gain.

Also, I redid the intro solo of Myst if you want to check it out. =P

The glitch part was all just a freeware VST i found. I added it because i heard from a few people that warping the lead would be very cool, so I used some glitching. Yes this bass tone is literally what i made the first time i used my bass on the pod x3. Ive been to busy recording to be really be tweaking my tone. Ill probably tone down on the distortion because i like grit more than distortion (ala geddy lee) And of course ill check out the new solo man
Those first few riffs sound like I've heard them before, I can't tell where though. I like the drums - especially the double bass sections, that's pretty brutal. that riff at 2:00 ish area goes on waaay to long.

The solo tone is nowhere near powerful enough to match the rest of the song imo, just a tad more gain. I really hate effects so I may be a bit biased here - but I don't like the solo at all =/

On a side note, I wouldn't really call it 'Prog' because it deosn't have any of the things that make Prog - complex time signatures, multiple intricate layers etc.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Pond Scum: thanks bro

Rockfan7: yup didnt play drums on this. WAAAAAYYYY too difficult for the likes of me. Also I leave the guitars thin for the sole reason to make room for the bass. When I do the final cut of this im gonna cut off some gain on the bass because it fills a tad too much, and im going to add vocals in the future.

v2a2n2g2: Yea the guitars arent muddy at all, in Reaper when i mute the bass the guitars are crisp as hell, just weak because theres no low end and as said before I will be adding vocals, I jsut need to pick what 4-5 songs im using on my concept album then finish writing lyrics.

Mettalicafan: I don't believe the riffs are a rip-off of anything but so much has been done in metal im sure youve heard a similar riff before. The section at 2:00 wont sound nearly as long with vocals on it (plus i think its groovy ) The lead at the part isnt really made to be your focus, its just a polymeter (two different time signatures at one) the lead is in 5/8 while everything else is in 4/4. The effects thing is completely opnionated. Some love it (ME) and some hate you (you ) Also, This is one of my least prog songs, but theyre are wierd time signatures (begining riff is in 5/8) anyways thanks for the crit man
Pretty cool song actually. When I saw death metal I was worried, but it was good. There's a lot of really good, original riffs in there. I like the different time signatures, and I like the variety of scales and modes. The part at around 3:20 with the weird sound effects was great, I love weird sounds like that. Everything's pretty tight, good job.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!