I want to get a bass for my birthday on Feb 22, but im on a budget. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices both costing $200 each while leaving $100 for a cheap amp. I have never played bass before so I'm looking for something that's good to learn on, but still cheap.

My first choice is the:

Squier Affinity Series P Bass

or the:

Ibanez GSR200

If you can find a better bass that's $200 or under I'd be happy to consider it too.
Thanks!
Ibanez. The Affinity series is the lowest of the low. If you can go for a Squier Vintage Modified P Bass, that's a more even match.

stratkat
Quote by EuBoat
Ibanez. The Affinity series is the lowest of the low. If you can go for a Squier Vintage Modified P Bass, that's a more even match.

+1 the ibanez is a solid starter and much better than the affinity.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Ibanez is better quality for the price by far. While Squier basses are better than their guitar counterparts, the Affinity series are not great.
My best advice is...GO play them first, then decide, you have time. Ibanez plays differently than Squiers.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Ibanez definitely, and that's not just because I don't like Fender. The Ibanez is simply a better bass, you'll be happy with it. Also, we have the same birthday!
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I played the VM 70's... was very disapointed. was planning on getting it, switched to me JTK after playing it. I just didnt like the neck, sounds and looks awesome though.
The ibanez and the Squier are both good... but ive heard bad things about squiers. they dont sound to amazing but I think on the whole theyre great for the price.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
I love Fender, but i would go Ibanez. 90% of all the bassists i know started with an Ibanez. It's solid and really versatile.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Ibanez, I recently got one - but I agree with one of the previous comments, go play it and give it a shot. Recommend asking your stores guitarist to give both of them a demonstration from various genres of music and see what you prefer. Good to learn a quick riff as well so you can play it while your there - recommend some Rage Against the Machine Songs
Might wanna look into a Peavey millenium bxp,great basses for the money.Ibanez are some great basses but so is the Millenium it get's overlooked but is very solid and hard to beat at it's price.Just another option for you to considre.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
06 Epiphone LP Standard Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
im going to support the squier 8 years later it still plays like new and it's not like they are worse off now then when they made them then if anything they are better i played a newer squier the other day and it def seams like an improvement.

i dont support the 70s vintage modified with that much money you can get a babied used fender jazz.

ibenez is good but def play-before-you buy depending on when it was made or what model it is they have so many combinations of necks,bodys,pickups. there are very good ibenez but there are also very horrible ones so just be carefull
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I have an Ibanez GSR200 (Jewel Blue), and I love it and have been playing about 3 months. I cannot speak for the Squier though. I'd say play them both if you can and decide from there.
Quote by MaidenFrieak71
Might wanna look into a Peavey millenium bxp,great basses for the money.Ibanez are some great basses but so is the Millenium it get's overlooked but is very solid and hard to beat at it's price.Just another option for you to considre.

+1

I learned on a Peavey (they often get overlooked), but really a great brand to learn on
I pride myself on my humility.