So, I have a whole bunch of questions for you guys.
I recently (December 31st) got an Ibanez Jumpstart pack with the IJX40 with GTA10 amp. (It was worth $400 CAD, but I got it for 300 cause the store was overstocked. ) Now, there is a bunch of things I am wondering about. Firstly, the strings don't seem to hold their tuning too well. I assume that this will get better as the strings have time to stretch, if anyone has any advice, that would be nice. (BTW I have been playing it about 1 hour at least daily since I got it.)
Also, the GTA10 supposedly has an earphone jack. The first thing I noticed is that it seems pretty large for earphones. It is the same size as the input cable jack for the guitar. I tried putting headphones in it, out of curiosity, and if you put them in until the entire end piece of the headphones is inside, not just the metal part, then the amp will stop putting out sound, but it also will not put any sound out through the headphones. I have a feeling I am missing something obvious, but if anyone can help that would be cool.

I am wondering a few other things too, more hypothetically as I don't have much money currently. There are reviews on here for the IJX40, for anyone who isn't familiar with it. It is an HSS style Strat-type guitar. I am wondering about switching out the pickups, not now but in the future. What would be some suggestions for good pickups I could buy, specifically for hard rock and metal (if you could include the price that would be very nice.) Also, it would be nice to know where I could get them.
I am also looking at getting a second guitar in the future. I don't want another Strat copy (TBH I didn't really want one to begin with but it's a very good guitar for the price and is very good for multiple styles. I'm just not the biggest fan of the Strat bodystyle.) but I would like to know some good guitars, preferably with bridge and neck humbuckers, that would be attainable for < $1000. I don't care specifically about the shape, I like unique stuff as long as it isn't ass ugly. Just preferably not a Strat shape.
I am planning on keeping my current guitar, at least for now, as my standard and drop D tuning guitar, and using the other one for C tuning. I would like to know what I should do with the truss rod/strings or whatever as far as keeping the neck from turning into a banana, with it in C tuning. This may or may not influence the question above, I don't know.

I know it's a lot, but if anyone can answer any and/or all of the above questions, that would be great. The more (and more varied) the suggestions the better. I am not worrying too much about this really for now, so feel free to suggest anything, even if it's a bit off of what I stated.
wow... wall of text

for the headphone jack, you'll need a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter to use normal headphones

as for new pickups, that's something hard to recommend, check out the pickup selector tool on DiMarzio's web site, I have a couple of their pickups in my strat and love them
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Question 1) let them stretch or change them out. my friends guitar had the same problem but after changing the strings it was fine.

2) you need an adapter plug, you can get it at a music store for like 3 bucks. it goes from a 1/4" to a standard 1/8" plug for your head phones...ask them there, they will know what you need.

3)i recommend seymore duncans (check the spelling on that)

4) I personally have a Dean Razorback...i love it. and i got it for about 500. plus it has a unique shape. check it out. lol
Hey man. The strings need time to stretch. Try lifting them and bend between your thumb & fingers all the way along the string to help stretch them when new but if you've been playing them a bit they should be close to "played in" by now.

As for the headphones, you just need to go to your nearest electronic or audio store and buy an adaptor plug. You plug your headphone plug into the adaptor so it will fit the 1/4" headphone jack in the amp.

DiMarzio or Seymour duncan pickups work well with Ibanez guitars. As for that & a new guitar in the future, just look around, read what you can, listen to advice from people who know and tryout as many as you can. After a while you'll get more of an idea of what interests you. There's some great stuff out there but there's also some total shite.
Yeah, I do have some ideas about the second guitar, I just don't want to buy something and find out it will be a broken piece of crap in a month. I would rather people suggest things based on reliability and value than feel, I can figure that part out myself. And thanks for the suggestions, I will keep those in mind.
For pickups, seymour duncan and dimarzio are a standard, but guitarfetish.com had pups too. Take a look.

For the guitar... how about a LP? The only other body shapes are really singlecut guitars unless your talking about v's or odd bc rich guitars.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
For pickups, seymour duncan and dimarzio are a standard, but guitarfetish.com had pups too. Take a look.

For the guitar... how about a LP? The only other body shapes are really singlecut guitars unless your talking about v's or odd bc rich guitars.

I would certainly not be opposed to an LP, most of my favourite guitarists use LPs or SGs. I like Vs although I prefer the original gibson V to most later Vs. I also like the mockingbird shape very much (unlike most BC Rich's). But I wouldn't say that that's true, for example while an Ibanex RG or JEM is pretty much a Strat shape IMO, an Ovation GP or Schecter Tempest are both very good looking guitars that are double cutaway but not what I'd call a Strat shape. I would just like some suggestions about what can be had that is reliable and good for sub-$1000 price. A lot of the ones that have been suggested are good. There's a Washburn and a BC Rich dealer in my town, and a place with a few Schecters and Washburns and Ibanez's about 45 minutes away, where I got the IJX40. Just in case there are some good ones from those dealers. They all also have some little unknown ubercheap manufacturer guitars but I'm not particularly interested in those.

Edit: Are there any good, reliable Explorer-type guitars for that price? I was going to ask before but I forgot.
Last edited by W35M4N at Jan 7, 2010,
Do NOT replace your pickups in a starter guitar, complete waste of money. and especially with your starter amp. I assume this is your first electric, how long have you been playing?

With your gear pickups are a complete waste of money. And considering a new guitar with a $1000 budget is a little "much" as from the info you've given me i;m going to assume you just started playing.

Learn on this ibanez, if you want it to last longer I suggest you don't use the trem at all. I find that trem use on a starter guitar like that will destroy the guitar (I had an old yamaha pacifica starter guitar and it was fine till i used the trem for like a day) When you feel you are ready to buy a new guitar (Preferably after you can nail some solos from your fave bands, or something like that) then start asking around.

Also more about the pickups, on your current amp you will notice NO difference whatsoever no matter what you throw in there. I'd suggest getting a new amp before anything if you really care about tone, but don't get the amp now, get it in like half a year after you've gained some experience. (again assuming you're a complete beginner based on your gear)

Basically let your strings stretch, you need an adapter plug for your headphones (prolly found at any audio store or any electronics store), and don't worry about the other stuff till you've gained some experience.

I'd suggest putting 10 gauge strings in your guitar and tuning down to C whenever you want and play, as long as you tune it back up after to keep the tension alright. Thats what I do, I admit it sounds really floppy, but you can still hear it fine.
I have been playing for about a year, but this is my first electric. And yes, $1000 dollars would be kind of pushing it but I didn't want to be too limiting. I'm not really worried about buying one now, just for later on. And I know my amp is crap, It's just that I wasn't really worried about asking since I think I know some ideas about what I want to get, and I figure as long as I get a good priced one that is good for my style I don't really care as much what it is, compared to a guitar which I may not have heard of and I think is really awesome looking. Superficial, but true.
Quote by W35M4N
I have been playing for about a year, but this is my first electric. And yes, $1000 dollars would be kind of pushing it but I didn't want to be too limiting. I'm not really worried about buying one now, just for later on. And I know my amp is crap, It's just that I wasn't really worried about asking since I think I know some ideas about what I want to get, and I figure as long as I get a good priced one that is good for my style I don't really care as much what it is, compared to a guitar which I may not have heard of and I think is really awesome looking. Superficial, but true.

Amp wise, from the research i've done, a pickup swap will only make a true tonal difference on a tube amp, so even if your next amp is, say, a peavey vyper (or another Solid State amp), I would still recommend against a pup swap.

And trust me unless you're looking to buy right now you'll have the ideas of guitars you want now but you'll prolly change your mind multiple times over time simply because you'll start to see what you truly want in a guitar.

Right now you've told people you want a guitar that has humbuckers, doesnt look strat-shaped, and with a $1000 budget.

With that you're going to get recommendations that can range from an epi LP, to a JAckson Rhoads, to a rickenbacker something-or-other.

Find out what you want in the guitar before asking, you may end up hating rosewood fretboards, or floyd whammy bars, or you may want 24 frets.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you don't know what you want in a gutiar your mind will just keep changing over and over and over.
Sounds like your other questions were answered, I will try the last one. I can only truly suggest what I have...

First off I have a schecter c-1 classic, it's beatiful and plays any rock/blues/ and oldr metal perfectly, I love to play old ozzy on it like crazy traingreat clean tone on the neck pup... But it was 900 so a lil pricy

My other electric is a prs se single cut... My dad got this for me for around 600-700 and it has the most jaw dropping tone, I literally feel like slash when I play it through a tube amp, sooo rich and warm, thick tone... Right now I have .11 strings on it and have it in drop c... I would say for metal it sounds a lot like the killswitch engage or disturbed tone... Sounds like it should cost more than my roomys guitar studio Les Paul( i think it was like 1200)
Quote by siverstorm
And trust me unless you're looking to buy right now you'll have the ideas of guitars you want now but you'll prolly change your mind multiple times over time simply because you'll start to see what you truly want in a guitar.

Right now you've told people you want a guitar that has humbuckers, doesnt look strat-shaped, and with a $1000 budget.

With that you're going to get recommendations that can range from an epi LP, to a JAckson Rhoads, to a rickenbacker something-or-other.

Find out what you want in the guitar before asking, you may end up hating rosewood fretboards, or floyd whammy bars, or you may want 24 frets.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you don't know what you want in a gutiar your mind will just keep changing over and over and over.

I know what you mean, but that's exactly WHY I left it so open ended. I don't want someone to pick a guitar for me, and I already have some ideas for what I want to get. It's just that if I didn't know about something, and it turns out that it looks pretty intruiging then I'd rather get some more ideas than just stay limited by what I know. And for the record I'm thinking a LP or SG copy, or mockingbird. And I figure most guitars that can have a floyd rose can be had without, so I don't see the problem in people giving some suggestions (Although I don't really want a Floyd Rose, in fact I don't care that much whether it has a tremolo or not, I wouldn't use it that much in all likelihood.) And also I don't think you're a dick, it's a legitimate concern. Honestly I am a bit unknowing in this area, but if the more different types of guitar I try out, the more likely I will find something I really like.

I just know I am not in the market for multiple thousand dollar guitars, and I am looking for something good for hard rock/metal so generally twin humbuckers would be what is most commonly used. And everybody uses Strat shapes.
Last edited by W35M4N at Jan 8, 2010,
The strings on those jumpstarts are trash !!!!!! You should get new ones NOW.
I put a dimarzio in my sons jumpstart guitar and it sounds Fcking amazing, as good as any one of my guitars, and all of mine are top notch.
Quote by W35M4N
I know what you mean, but that's exactly WHY I left it so open ended. I don't want someone to pick a guitar for me, and I already have some ideas for what I want to get. It's just that if I didn't know about something, and it turns out that it looks pretty intruiging then I'd rather get some more ideas than just stay limited by what I know. And for the record I'm thinking a LP or SG copy, or mockingbird. And I figure most guitars that can have a floyd rose can be had without, so I don't see the problem in people giving some suggestions (Although I don't really want a Floyd Rose, in fact I don't care that much whether it has a tremolo or not, I wouldn't use it that much in all likelihood.) And also I don't think you're a dick, it's a legitimate concern. Honestly I am a bit unknowing in this area, but if the more different types of guitar I try out, the more likely I will find something I really like.

I just know I am not in the market for multiple thousand dollar guitars, and I am looking for something good for hard rock/metal so generally twin humbuckers would be what is most commonly used. And everybody uses Strat shapes.

Alright then, in my personal opinon if you wanna stay with a versatile guitar that can do cleans if you want as well, instead of just high gain all the time definatley make sure your next guitar has passive pickups.

When you say you play metal, do you plan on learning shred? If so I recommend 24 frets, if not it gives you more options (normal slower solos can have the 22nd fret bent to 24) also if you shred i'd recommend against the LP shape because it's slightly harder to play on the high frets. It's not impossible though (Zakk Wylde, Buckethead) it's just something to think about.

There are other shapes that you can look into with your budget, say ESP LTD explorer shapes.

Also, if you change your mind about not wanting a strat shape you could look into the ESP LTD MH series or the Jackson SLS3. I have a similar thing as you do, I don't really care about shape so much, but I hate solid black guitars because everyone has one

And I stand by what I said about the pickups, don't switch them until you get a nice amp, you really wont notice a difference and you may have wasted 200 or 300 bucks (that and the pickups alone would end up costing more than half of the guitar)

You could get away with buying a 400 series LTD model (any shape you want)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200

or if you don mind the shape

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H401FM-Duncan-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=423296

very well priced for a quality product IMO
One slight word of advice, I think I skimmed over something where you mentioned upgrading pickups?

The Ibby started guitar isn't worth changing the pickups in, for the 200 bucks it'll cost you can get a better guitar (second hand, but better)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
One slight word of advice, I think I skimmed over something where you mentioned upgrading pickups?

The Ibby started guitar isn't worth changing the pickups in, for the 200 bucks it'll cost you can get a better guitar (second hand, but better)

Yeah, I was more curious, I don't think I'm gonna do it, at least not with this guitar/amp combo.

Quote by siverstorm
Alright then, in my personal opinon if you wanna stay with a versatile guitar that can do cleans if you want as well, instead of just high gain all the time definatley make sure your next guitar has passive pickups.

I will definitely keep that in mind.

When you say you play metal, do you plan on learning shred? If so I recommend 24 frets, if not it gives you more options (normal slower solos can have the 22nd fret bent to 24) also if you shred i'd recommend against the LP shape because it's slightly harder to play on the high frets. It's not impossible though (Zakk Wylde, Buckethead) it's just something to think about.

Probably to some extent but to be honest I'm more interested in doom and sludge metal. I do listen to thrash and stuff sometimes though, just not what I am most interested in.

There are other shapes that you can look into with your budget, say ESP LTD explorer shapes.

You could get away with buying a 400 series LTD model (any shape you want)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200

or if you don mind the shape

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H401FM-Duncan-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=423296

very well priced for a quality product IMO

Those do look nice, but I think I may have an idea of what I may get. I think I'd rather buy something from a local store where I can actually see/play it before buying it, so I'll probably come back in a bit with a few specific models I am looking at from the couple of stores around here.