They don't need to be 25/20 years old yet, but.. discuss and say why "x" band desrves to make it to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

Blink-182

Those guys changed punk and the concept of music.

They didn't change the concept of music by making the best music in the world... they changed it by giving staing something... music can be ANY type of idea. Not just serious concepts, but anthing. Listen "Happy Holidays, You Bastard", "Blew Job Song", "Sh**, piss, f**k, c**t..." (it says that), "Eff a dog", "When You Effed Grandpa", etc. They threw controversial, obscene, nasty themes up the Billboard, making dumb mainstream people notice the existance of punk.

They aren't just power chords, bass that follows the guitar and standard drums. They were power chords with a few good riffs (that can't be changed..), a bass that doesn't just play octaves all the way through by adding some solos and the piece of art intro on Carousel (Buddha Version), and drums which can be described with anyting but basic, bringing infinte beats and rhythm schemes. They have two lead singers which have unique, great voices unlike many other bands. That makes them special. They have a lot of innovative ideas which differences them from other mainstream punk pop bands that make only love songs directed to conformist teens.

They don't make millions of sappy love songs, they take on other topics like divorce, alien existance, suicide, immaturity when you are 23 and you still don't want to grow up, how hard it is to live when your parents no longer pay for you, how teens can't change a thing in the world of politics and in laws, domestic abuse, a mental breakdown in space known as Asthenia, how crappy Christmas is when you're forced to be with people you hate, when you screw up and get kicked out of school because you drink too much alcohol, etc.

When they do write a love song, it won't be in its typical way, just saying some sappy words, I LOVE YOU, stay with me don't go your eyes are so beautiful blahblahblah. They will write it in a controversial way, stating how things really happen, with the no no words that your parents won't appreciate (Don't leave me all alone, just drop me off at home and I'll be fine).

If you go to their concerts, the first thing that will catch your attention is a giant metal sign that's on fire, saying "F***". Their live CD is full of jokes which will scare off any mainstream person, leaving only real punkers aenjoying their jokes and music.

They aren't just a stupid pop punk band. They are an immature, controversial, absolutely awesome, punk rock band (listen to their first three albums with songs like Carousel, Pathetic and Apple Shampoo).
That was quite a good summary of the blink legacy i would say. I do think they will eventually make it there in the future (even if long time future) because they did create a movement in pop culture, almost by themselves (added Green Day, ect.) Even one of the member of Angels and Airwaves (cant remember if it was David Kennedy or Atom Willard) saying blink are like "The Who" of our generation, since they have an incredible loyal following of fans unlike many other bands of this generation.
Cant wait for the new album!
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Last edited by Josh2k69 at Jan 13, 2010,
1. "Those guys changed punk and the concept of music.

They didn't change the concept of music by making the best music in the world... they changed it by giving staing something... music can be ANY type of idea. Not just serious concepts, but anthing. Listen "Happy Holidays, You Bastard", "Blew Job Song", "Sh**, piss, f**k, c**t..." (it says that), "Eff a dog", "When You Effed Grandpa", etc. They threw controversial, obscene, nasty themes up the Billboard, making dumb mainstream people notice the existance of punk.
"

I'm pretty sure the above mentioned songs were never on the Billboard charts (or listened to by anyone over the age of 11 for that matter). and believe me, "dumb mainstream" people knew about punk way before blink-182.

2. "They have a lot of innovative ideas which differences them from other mainstream punk pop bands that make only love songs directed to conformist teens."

have you paid any attention to the band's history, at all? blink-182 has been around since like, 1992, and have essentially set the bar as well as many examples for what is now considered mainstream punk-pop. which is primarily listened to by "conformist teens."

3. "they take on other topics like divorce, alien existance, suicide, immaturity when you are 23 and you still don't want to grow up, how hard it is to live when your parents no longer pay for you, how teens can't change a thing in the world of politics and in laws, domestic abuse, a mental breakdown in space known as Asthenia, how crappy Christmas is when you're forced to be with people you hate, when you screw up and get kicked out of school because you drink too much alcohol, etc."

SO DID EVERY PUNK SONG EVER WRITTEN.

4. "When they do write a love song, it won't be in its typical way, just saying some sappy words, I LOVE YOU, stay with me don't go your eyes are so beautiful blahblahblah. They will write it in a controversial way, stating how things really happen, with the no no words that your parents won't appreciate (Don't leave me all alone, just drop me off at home and I'll be fine)."

Quote by Tom DeLonge
Where are you and I'm so sorry
I cannot sleep I cannot dream tonight
I need somebody and always
This sick strange darkness comes creeping on so haunting everytime
And as I stared I counted the webs from all the spiders
catching things and eating their insides
Like indecision to call you
And hear your voice of treason
Will you come home and stop this pain tonight
stop this pain tonight

yeah, "no no words" for sure, man.

5. "If you go to their concerts, the first thing that will catch your attention is a giant metal sign that's on fire, saying "F***". Their live CD is full of jokes which will scare off any mainstream person, leaving only real punkers aenjoying their jokes and music."

first off, no mainstream person would ever buy their live CD, because it's out of print and terrible in every way. and that was like, ten years ago. secondly, I'm pretty sure they stopped doing the whole "metal fire-sign with no-no words and awful jokes" thing when they hit 30. from what I can tell, the band has matured to some extent, and so should its fans.
^ who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
This thread is gonna be fun.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I think Coldplay must be at hall of fame because they know how to unite a image simbology into the sound(what a good sound) and make it keeps with the visual effects, if they were writing poetry you must call them simbolists.
pretty much any stereotypical pop punk band uses "nono words". really man, blink 182 is as mainstream as punk can get and therefore it is not real punk rock imo.
I do have a soft spot for blink's last album, but the very idea that they may have done something new and different is hilarious to me.
Quote by toyboxmonster
I do have a soft spot for blink's last album, but the very idea that they may have done something new and different is hilarious to me.

Yeah, they basically did nothing that hadn't been done before. Sure, the bad words seem really cool and rebellious when yr young -- when I was in sixth grade I thought it was awesome that they said naughty words in their songs. But looking back on it now, it's just silly and immature, the type of thing that only someone with the intellectual capacity of a sixth grader would find awesome. Like that guy said a few posts above me, even the band themselves have matured beyond such silly antics.

Also, as a punkologist, I should slip in the fact that blink 182, while having some punk influence, are not a punk band.
Quote by neidnarb11890

Also, as a punkologist, I should slip in the fact that blink 182, while having some punk influence, are not a punk band.

I'm going to school for punkology.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
After some thought, I've concluded that my sixth grade comment may have been a bit harsh. I was a pretty big blink fan myself, up through ninth grade (although by then I didn't care as much about the swears). I'd like to apologize to any 6-9th graders I may have offended.
Quote by nashawa
I'm going to school for punkology.

Word? I'm currently working on my doctoral dissertation, in which I argue that Lord Byron invented punk.
I used to like Blink when I was like 13 or 14 mainly for the kicks of listening to them swearing. I think their last album has some good playing on it but the lyrics let them down I've always found, which is a shame because it makes it harder to take them serious.
Slayer, Megadeth, and Antrax. 'Cus Metallica isn't the only part of the big four.
The Flaming Lips
Beck
The Black Crowes
Kings of Leon (still a pretty young band, but they kick ass)
Bright Eyes
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by neidnarb11890

Word? I'm currently working on my doctoral dissertation, in which I argue that Lord Byron invented punk.

I spent 20 minutes trying to think of something witty to say in reply to this.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Kenbeek
RHCP.

Period.

Why?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I personally think slipknot... they have great, complex sounding guitar riffs, so they have extremely skilled guitarists. They have a extremely skilled drummer (and not to mention his drumming added with the misc. drummers sounds ****ing amazing). I personally think they're just amazing overall, they're different then other bands our days.

*prepares flame shield*
I think my chemical romance should be in the hall of fame these guys deserve the best I mean not only did they change themselfs to be a better person as a group but also the fans and listeners around them so if they have that kind of an impact on people I sure as hell want them on the hall of fame. Their awesome!
Quote by Venice King
Why?

Because, unlike Blink-182, they started something truly innovative back in 1984, and because of their continuous mass appeal over the course of 15 years, less so in their early career, but very much after BSSM.

Because through several line-up changes they managed to keep it together and keep a style of their own.

And because they're generally awesome.