Lately I've been struggling to find anything inspirational and original. I mean
you can only write about drug use, sex, war, political issues, the meaning of life, etc so much before things start to seem very cliche. I really don't know where to go from here I feel like I'm at a point in my life where those things just do not seem important anymore. Any advice to help overcome this slump would be great thanks in advance.
Just write about whatever you're interested in. If you're passionate about something, it will come out in your music. Hope this helps.
Quote by Warpigcessec
Write about cars, or killing people....works for cannibal corpse

If you're going to be like cannibal corpse, just write about anything and scream in such a way that nobody can tell what the words are. just kidding.
I want to ascend all that though. I want my songs to touch the listeners mortal coil deeply etching itself into your consciousness how can I achieve this level of musicianship? It seems very few songwriters actually achieve that, but it is definately where I want to be singing about cars will never get me there.
Quote by Captain Capo
I want to ascend all that though. I want my songs to touch the listeners mortal coil deeply etching itself into your consciousness how can I achieve this level of musicianship? It seems very few songwriters actually achieve that, but it is definately where I want to be singing about cars will never get me there.

vikings are the only way man.
Uhm, write about a lack of inspiration, and how searching for inspiration is a feeble attempt. That, like love, it finds you not the other way around... blah blah blah

P.S. Despite sounding possibly horribly cliched, that actually doesn't sound too bad...

See if some shit like that can work for ya??? If not... Well, ya can certainly go with the Vikings
Quote by Captain Capo

Just write what you know, you'll never achieve much depth or sincerity unless you focus on the specific things you know very well. So, what are you good at? What do you know the most about? What pastimes, people, places, and ideas interest you most?

1. Figure that out.
2. Learn more and more about it until yo know it intimately.
3. Songwrite about it.
write about something that everyone's been through and can relate to be it going through a hard time at work, getting bullied etc... as long as people can relate to it write about it
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Use another style.

As much as I love writing song lyrics or poetry, I've discovered that I'm actually a fairly decent rapper. So, try to freestyle, try to rhyme words that otherwise wouldn't rhyme. Make it a challenge.

You say that you can only write about drugs, sex etc before it all becomes cliche. Well, it'll only become cliche if you make it cliche.
Write about Gummi Bears

just kidding.

Sounds like you feel empty. Write about not being able to find satisfaction or permanent happiness, emptiness, detachment and isolation, and wanting to get up and just....live, but not knowing how.
That's the impression I get from your post, so...hope that helps.

EDIT: Or like the other guy said, write about lack of inspiration. Nothin' Song by AIC is a good song about that if you need reference.
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Jan 21, 2010,