Ive got a Peavey 5150 combo amp and for the life of me cannot get a good metal tone thats not harsh without completely sounding muddy without treble. What do you suggest i do?
Metal? Jazz? Metal AND Jazz
Jackson DXMG
Jackson JS30RR
Peavey 5150 Combo 2x12(Loudest 2x12 ever)
Boss Noise Suppressor
CFH Wah
Jackson Demmelition King V(I wish)
i have the same amp but i dont play metal so i can try to help. i never had any harshness with it though

if the presence is turned up though it will sound harsh

my settings are normally bass at 9 oclock or 2 oclock depending on what im playing.
mids at 4 o clock and treble at about 1 or 2 o clock.
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by flyingcheckmark
Ive got a Peavey 5150 combo amp and for the life of me cannot get a good metal tone thats not harsh without completely sounding muddy without treble. What do you suggest i do?

What are your settings on everything?

Are you running any pedals?

Is it doing this on all of your guitars?

(if not), then what pickups are in the particular guitar?
My settings are gain 5-6 mid2-3 high 5 res 8 pres4-5 ( i dont hear much of a difference in the presence untill you get into the higher register)

Guitar Jackson dxmg with emg hz(passive pickups)

pedal is just a noise suppressor
Metal? Jazz? Metal AND Jazz
Jackson DXMG
Jackson JS30RR
Peavey 5150 Combo 2x12(Loudest 2x12 ever)
Boss Noise Suppressor
CFH Wah
Jackson Demmelition King V(I wish)
Raise your mids.

Start with everything at 5. Then tweak.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
part of the problem could be your pickups (odds are they are going to really push out a lot of treble). i much prefer the tone i get out of my 5150 combo when i use my Godin guitar with Godin pickups (which i am guessing are similar to a seymour duncan custom custom) than with my Gibson with stock pickups. the gibson stock pickups have a lot of treble which makes it more difficult to EQ a tone i like.

best advice is to set everything at 5 and work your way from there, odds are you'll need to keep your presence around 4 and maybe even a lil lower, like 3 or something. all you can do is just play with the eq as much as you can.