Maby I'm just not being patient or what, I don't know. I just tend to get lost at where I'm at in the song when I'm working on songs like stuff from the Black Dahlia murder. I haven't learned anything this fast before should I expect it might take me longer to learn than something I'm used to the speed of? Its not even so much the speed is the problem I can play it relatively close its just knowing where I'm at.
Last edited by shoottheofficer at Jan 7, 2010,
Slow down.

Get a metronome, turn it down to a painfully slow tempo, ie 30bpm, then practice the riff to that tempo. And by practice I mean seriously pay attention to muting and the economy of your picking.

Once you can play the entire riff at that tempo ten times in a row, without hesitation or mistakes, knock your metronome up 1bpm.

Rinse and repeat til you get to the desired speed.
You're probably not comfortable with the speed of the song. You don't think that's the problem, but you're probably having trouble remembering what bit comes next moving at a higher tempo. As with anything fast, play the parts which give you trouble (it sounds like transitions between the riffs to me) at a much slower tempo and gradually increase the tempo. That's how you best attain muscle memory, which is the real secret behind playing anything fast.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Slow down.

Get a metronome, turn it down to a painfully slow tempo, ie 30bpm, then practice the riff to that tempo. And by practice I mean seriously pay attention to muting and the economy of your picking.

Once you can play the entire riff at that tempo ten times in a row, without hesitation or mistakes, knock your metronome up 1bpm.

Rinse and repeat til you get to the desired speed.

+ a bazillion!

Also keep in mind to keep your fingers as relaxed as possible, and your movements as small as possible
slow down and play it untill you get it perfect at that speed. then speed up untill you feel comfortable to play at full speed.