In a few weeks I'll be getting $150 for taking care of my grandparent's dogs. Right now, I don't have that great of a recording setup. I'll list what I've got now, and what I think I should get. Could someone point me in the right direction if I'm not already there?

Current setup:

JBL Dynamic Microphone
JBL Mixer (for phantom power)
Lexicon Alpha Pro Interface
Earbuds that came with a cheap mp3 player
Logitech Speakers
Bose Speakers

Ideas for next stuff:

Sennheiser HD201 Headphones
MXL V63M Condenser Mic
Nady CM-88 Condenser Mic
Nady Metal Pop filter

I'll be recording the following:
Drums
Acoustic guitar
Guitar amp
Bass amp
Vocals (singing and talking)
Piano (maybe)
Harmonica (maybe)
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jan 7, 2010,
Invest in the stock market.

On a serious note, if you buy really nice quality headphones, you'll notice a dramatic positive change in the way you hear your recordings. 99% of the time, cheap headphones have garbage bass response and can really ruin what you're listening to.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Get the Headphones. Cheap headphones could mean the difference between a good mix and a bad mix.

As for the mics you have there, I've never really been a fan of MXL or Nady as their stuff is hit and miss. If you had the cash to do this, go with it: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT2041SP-AT2020-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

Thats a solid setup that will get your recordings sounding better in no time.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by MetalBass 77
bank that 150$ and save up for some good monitors. you shouldnt really mix on headphones.

I've considered that, but they wouldn't be very useful to me right now. The way my desk is, I wouldn't be able to put them how they should be, plus my room acoustics are terrible.
Quote by Alex Vik
I've considered that, but they wouldn't be very useful to me right now. The way my desk is, I wouldn't be able to put them how they should be, plus my room acoustics are terrible.

Hmmm i would just save it for somethign that your gonna enjoy and keep awhile. possibly an 8 channel interface (firestudio, can be had for round 350-400$ used)
Quote by MetalBass 77
Hmmm i would just save it for somethign that your gonna enjoy and keep awhile. possibly an 8 channel interface (firestudio, can be had for round 350-400$ used)

I don't really have a use for an 8 channel interface right now. I don't have enough mics or mic stands to make it worth more for me than more mics right now. Especially because the mic I've got isn't even mine, I'm borrowing it from my church.
You want a Golden Age FC1 MKII condenser mic. There's an audio demo of it on my page, and based on that alone Ryan (catharsisstudio) bought TWO of them. Amazing mic, it'll really blow your mind with improved clarity on your acoustics and vocals. Only $99! Then you can save the other $50 to put towards monitors (I don't care how bad your room acoustics are, those bose speakers munch butt at mixing. I know because I was using them for a few months 'til I got legit monitors. I'm selling them now, probably for $50).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GOA-FC4-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

Go for the matched pair option, and enjoy your quality recordings! These are great for drum overheads and general stereo applications. Most definitely the best way to spend your money right now.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GOA-FC4-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

Go for the matched pair option, and enjoy your quality recordings! These are great for drum overheads and general stereo applications. Most definitely the best way to spend your money right now.

Cool, thanks. Would these be better for everything than my JBL mic? Or would there be something where a dynamic mic would trump a condenser?
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by Alex Vik
Cool, thanks. Would these be better for everything than my JBL mic? Or would there be something where a dynamic mic would trump a condenser?

Micing cabs would probably be a little better with the JBL though using both a condenser and a dynamic provide some great results.
Yeahh, and you'll want to stick your dynamic on the kick drum with the other two overhead, and you'll actually get a decent full kit sound. Pick up a 57 or something for the snare down the line and you'll be set.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by lockwolf
Micing cabs would probably be a little better with the JBL though using both a condenser and a dynamic provide some great results.

Ok, I might try that. Thanks.

Quote by Sid McCall
Yeahh, and you'll want to stick your dynamic on the kick drum with the other two overhead, and you'll actually get a decent full kit sound. Pick up a 57 or something for the snare down the line and you'll be set.

Ok, I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip.
Quote by Sid McCall
You want a Golden Age FC1 MKII condenser mic. There's an audio demo of it on my page, and based on that alone Ryan (catharsisstudio) bought TWO of them. Amazing mic, it'll really blow your mind with improved clarity on your acoustics and vocals. Only $99!

I officially hate you right now. I went and listened to your audio demo and I'm probably going to drop $100 next paycheck on one of those (or maybe $220 on the matched stereo pair). You suck :p
Quote by lockwolf
I officially hate you right now. I went and listened to your audio demo and I'm probably going to drop $100 next paycheck on one of those (or maybe $220 on the matched stereo pair). You suck :p

I honestly don't even remember what I did in that demo, but I don't remember doing anything particularly special hahaha I'm glad I could help, though!

Just wait until you hear the culmination of the tracks I've been working on over break, there's some really crazy stuff going on over here! I sampled sounds from my kitchen and basement and I'm almost done mixing them into a usable drum kit, just got do some minor volume tweaks and filter adjustments.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass