Im trying to write some music but i find that my sound is kinda of limited and my techniques/riffs are way too similar. I believe its because I heavily rely on the pentatonic scale. Could somebody refer me to some scales/tabs of these scales to get me some sounds similar to coheed/tool/mastodon, etc. I would like to inject an eerier sound into my riffs. Thanks in advance...
Gear
------
Burny RLC-50 Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Vintage 70s Ibanez Custom Acoustic
Vox AD50VT 2x12
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD-7
I don't listen to those bands, but for eerie and just off the top of my head, try Phrygian or Lydian? I think those are the two I'm thinking of anyway.
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Natural minor, phrygian, and diminished scales work well for metal, but scales don't make the riff; phrasing does. You can use pentatonics to compose symphonies and major scale runs for death metal. It's simply a matter oh how they are used.
Quote by Geldin
Natural minor, phrygian, and diminished scales work well for metal, but scales don't make the riff; phrasing does. You can use pentatonics to compose symphonies and major scale runs for death metal. It's simply a matter oh how they are used.

This and this with a side-helping of this.

TS: Those three bands you listed are all hugely different and yet pretty much use the same scales. There are, after all, only 12 notes.

Also pay attention to arrangement and structure, they help alot in the feel of a song. In fact second to phrasing I'd say arrangement is the most important thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^
A good arrangement does so much for a song. I can't tell you how much I appreciate a good arrangement in songs.