I have a 5150 II and lately i have noticed that sometimes the output level decreases suddenly. I originally thought that it was time to replace the tubes, which I did. The amp was working well until today, a week after replacing tubes, in which the problem resurfaced. If I get aggressive with my picking, occasionally the amp returns to normal. Usually, the amp works perfectly, but sporadically I have the aforementioned problem. Any ideas how to correct the problem would be great.
You replaced both the pre and power amp tubes?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had a similar problem with my old Peavey VTM 60 recently. With mine it would play fine for a few minutes and the volume would go down drastically with some static and maybe a pop or 2. With mine it was a loose connection among the pc boards. There's a few things you can try. First I'd take the tubes out and clean them with TV Tuner cleaner. Stuff you can find at a local radio shack. Spray the contacts a bit and insert them into the socket. Don't spray too much just enough for them to be covered. Then pull them out and repeat a few times. Do that with the power tubes and preamp. That might fix things. If not you probably have a faulty component somewhere or connection. I'd try the tube cleaning first. If that doesn't work take it to a tech or take it apart if you have some electronic experience.
yea thanks for the help bullseyestrat, but the electronic cleaner didnt do the trick. looks like i will be broke for the next year fixing this fricking amp