okay, so i used to take singing lessons a while back ('bout a year ago or so) and i used to go on the original Singing Thread quite often for advice and stuff. then i just stopped singing "seriously" for some reason, but i still sang quite often, just messing around with my guitar or piano or whatever.

two days ago i was in my car and had a beach boys cds on, - i sing in my car very often while driving to school or to my gf's, nothing special, - then i thought "hmm, ill try to actually focus on singing" as in "serious singing" and not just singing along mindlessly. i didn't really pay much attention at that moment to proper technique or anything. i just tried to bring my old singing days back. after a couple of songs i noticed my jaw was really tense, by that point i had arrived home so i stopped singing.

the next day i woke up and tried to sing some irrelevant song that was on my mind. here's where the problem came in: i couldn't hit my usual notes! - i am/was? able of singing a comfortable G and getting up to an A some days, but now i have trouble singing a C below that!

in case that was somehow confusing: before the described day, i use to have a pretty wide range. even if i was just messing around, not focusing on singing much, i used to hit some pretty good notes.

what the hell happened? i literally lost like 1/3 or my range over night. this had never happened before. yes, i know realize i probably was singing wrong, but will i have my voice back? my speaking voice is pretty much the same, but i have trouble with high notes in natural speech (as in raising your voice when surprised or asking a question or just pretending to be a girl, lol.) my falsetto is also sort of gone.
what can i do guys? i really used to love my voice and i found it pretty shitty that the day i decided i should get back on singing this happened. tss.

TLDR: I lost my high notes and don't know what to do.

any help is appreciated.
dude its like working out a muscle you dont just jump into running when you are sitting on the couch for a couple of years. get back into it slowly. go back to your basics. doe, ray, me, type of, sh*t...lol
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
i suppose that makes sense, but its not like i stopped singing for years. i still sang a bit just not as in weekly lessons or daily scale practices. i used to strum a few chords and sing every now and then. still, my question is: what the hell can i do to get my voice back? (if possible... )
Quote by cubs
i suppose that makes sense, but its not like i stopped singing for years. i still sang a bit just not as in weekly lessons or daily scale practices. i used to strum a few chords and sing every now and then. still, my question is: what the hell can i do to get my voice back? (if possible... )
Just wait for it to recover. Stop singing for a few days, drink hot tea and stuff. You have nothing to worry about.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by cubs
i just tried to bring my old singing days back. after a couple of songs i noticed my jaw was really tense, by that point i had arrived home so i stopped singing.

there you go. Your voice got tired.

Just wait for it to recover. Stop singing for a few days, drink hot tea and stuff. You have nothing to worry about.

true

dude its like working out a muscle you dont just jump into running when you are sitting on the couch for a couple of years. get back into it slowly. go back to your basics. doe, ray, me, type of, sh*t...lol

true again

so cheers everything is ok.
hi i'm seventeen.

i'll give it a rest a few days and update if its not back in a week. thanks everyone
1. You had just woken up. I find that I only have 2, maybe 3 octaves at most right after waking. Warm up in the mornings!

2. Beach Boys might be high for you. You may have overdone it.

I'm guessing it was more #1 than #2, though.
hey, i remember you from the old singing thread, i think! & you live in Tucson, i used to live there! tee-hee.

but no, i know it takes more time for the voice to wake up, but this has lasted for weeks. I still don't have my full rage back, though it is slowly returning. I'm at around an Eb at the moment, whereas when this happened it was almost impossible for me to reach middle C. still, my G is not back yet

i started singing lessons again, hopefully my voice will return. my singing teacher says its probably a cold or something (i was a bit sick then.) do you have a different opinion? it is not the wake up thing and i used to be able to sing Beach Boys stuff pretty easily (falsetto & normal voice,) it is possible that i may have overdone it however. thank you
You're feeling tension in your jaw. That's an indicator that you're not doing something right. Strike one.

Singing in the morning is never going to be as good as singing later in the day. The earlier it is, the less range you will have, unless you wake up *really* early. haha. Strike two.

Because your body is your instrument, your voice is subject to all sorts of variables. I can pretty much predict a week in advance when I will be sick because I start losing notes on the top end of my range. (like maybe one or two, not like a major third or anything....).

That could well be your strike three.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.