Just out of curiosity and future possible investment. What are the best acoustic-electric basses? and What are the best 5-string electric basses? My price range is nothing over $1500.
Acoustics are something you have to try out to see if they are loud enough for what you want to use them for, often they aren't.

As for the 5 strings, what 4 strings do you like? Genre? Anybody's tone and/or bass you like the look/sound of?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'm not to sure about acoustics seeing as how I never played one, but for $1500, you have a lot of options for a 5 string. I'd say look into Musicman, Warwick, and Spector. Most people will usually like at least one of those brands.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I have an Epiphone T-bird, and it is ok in my opinion. But I want to have the low B string for the real low tunings in Metal and such. Right now I play at my church and my high school jazz band, but I am hoping to play at least part time in some type of Christian rock band (when I actually become skilled enough to do so) not too long after I graduate (but who knows). I like the tone and sound of Haste the Day's bassist, as well as Jason Wisdom of Becoming the Archetype. New price range is nothing over $1000.
Last edited by JESUSmetalhead at Jan 7, 2010,
What kind of music are you playing or wanting to play? Is this for serious gigging or just occasional hobby play? Check out Musicman, MTD, Warwick, Spector, and even Ibanez (select upper models) make pretty decent 5 string basses but you have a pretty wide range for that price, go play a whole bunch of them and see what you tend to like.
Can't help with accoustic...unless you're considering a double bass.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Make sure you also have an amp, about 2/3rds of your budget should be amp if you don't have one. With $1500, you can get pretty nice gear.

...I wish I had $1500....

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

A new amp is first on my list. I've made a plan to save up for the Ampeg SVT Bass amp half stack which includes the SVT-3 Pro Head, and the SVT-410HLF cab. I made the price limits on the basses themselves what I did, because I have found (just by looking on GC.com and MF.com) that amps, unless you get a combo, are generally more expensive, and I have already found the amp I want so... yup.
Quote by JESUSmetalhead
Got another question... What is the strongest wood?

Well, technically, the strongest wood is balsa wood.

But in guitars, wenge, ovangkol, maple, walnut, bubinga, are all strong woods.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ok... What's probably the worst wood for a bass? The reason I'm asking is I've been having some problems with one of the strap-buttons stripping out of my bass.
pine woudln't be good.
redwood wouldn't work.
etc.
etc.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Acoustics I dont know much about but 5 strings I'd say pick up an Ibanez or Warwick. Both have been near orgasmic to hold. I think the guys at the shop were annoyed when I kept coming back just to "test" them
i wouldent spend a ton of money on an accustic. as far as 5 strings what music you play?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I was suggesting Ibanez and Warwick solid bodies. I havent had the chance of holding an acoustic here.
Without meaning to threadjack - I've always wanted to try one of those Ovation Nikki Sixx basses - has anyone tried one of those?