Its getting to be time to change the strings on my acoustic and i got to thinking. I would LOVE my agb to sound a little more like an upright, deep warm and mellow, so my idea was i would get some phosphor-bronze flatwound strings to put on there. Seemed simple enough.

Little did i know that I would have a lot of trouble finding those . So i talked to some folks who said i should just try using some electric flatwounds. In theory it would deaden my sound and make my agb even quieter.

So my question is: Would it be a good idea or not to just use electric flatwounds?
Also if anyone does happen to know of a brand that makes phosphor-bronze flatwounds i would love to know
Not a very good idea. It'll be quieter and just sound generally crappier. And there are plenty of places to get them online, if you're willing to wait for them to ship.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
im sure you can go to a violin shop and get them made for your bass. i know when my sister played the chello she had her strings custom made for her and if memory serves me right i dont recall them being that expensive. but dont quote me on that i drink ......alot....lol good luck
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Just use electric flatwounds like D'Addario Chromes or Rotosound flats. It will definitely improve the tone and playability of an acoustic bass guitar. I don't know that you would gain anything by getting bronze flats, as the brightness of the bronze has a lot to do with the fact that they are roundwounds.
The frets will ruin the whole upright attempt sound.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
So! One month later, what are your experiences?
I've tried an acoustic bass and I've fallen in love with it, but the strings really are an issue.
I was concidering cello strings, but these are really expensive...

EDIT: I wouldn't do it because of the sound, but because I don't like strings that feel so rough.
Last edited by Cranky Bass at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Cranky Bass
So! One month later, what are your experiences?
I've tried an acoustic bass and I've fallen in love with it, but the strings really are an issue.
I was concidering cello strings, but these are really expensive...

EDIT: I wouldn't do it because of the sound, but because I don't like strings that feel so rough.

It's September!
Skip the cello strings. The two instruments are not tuned the same.
Try these...
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=4012&cid=50
Quote by Cb4rabid
You guys notice that this thread is 8 months old, right?

Admittedly an easy mistake to make if you're not used to the back-to-front mm/dd/yy format.
Yeah, using electric guitar strings on an acoustic bass is like throwing a rave at church.

A) it doesn't make any sense and B) I imagine it would look wierd.
pinga
Quote by obeythepenguin
Electric guitar strings, yes.

Electric bass strings, on the other hand... well, the instrument itself doesn't make any sense, if you think about it. It's too small to produce any reasonable acoustic volume, and yet too large to play comfortably in a regular guitar position. So even though it's an "acoustic" instrument, you spend almost all your time playing it plugged in.

But it doesn't look weird at all. It's phosphor bronze strings that look weird with chrome hardware.

Yeah, bass strings would be like playing a normal bass guitar acousticly. (with a kore wooden sound).

Or thats how I imagine it, ive honestly never played an acoustic bass, but I really want to as they look oh so sweet.
pinga