Ok so basically I have 130 pounds (about). And this guy is selling a Pod XT for that price to me.
I have a multi track which doesnt sound the best putting straight into it. My mate has the same recorder and uses a XT and it makes the recordings alot better!
So i was thinking what should i get, a XT or a SM 57 (microphone). I could put the mic beside my cab and record off of that. (Check signature for gear).
Or i could go straight through the pod.
So mic or POD?
Im leaning towards the pod but help?
What will have better quality.
Cheers
Gear:

LTD MH250NT w/EMG's
Jackson DKMG
Peavey 6505 Head
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
it will sound much better direct recording and not through a mic tyou wont get the same quality with the mic
well, the Pod would provide many different tone options you can experiment with. My vote goes to that over the mic. You could find a used 57 for like 50 bucks probably.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
The Pod is easier, especially for on the run recording, but the SM57 will sound much better. Nothing can substitute for a nice miced amp and cabinet, especially when you have good gear like yourself.
without a good interface, even the best mic will sound bad. my honest suggestion would be to save for a half descent interface and get an sm57. in the long run it'll be a better investment than a pod.

but over what you said, i would say if I had to choose the SM57 simply because your friend already has the pod and an sm57 is always a good thing to have laying around. so ask to borrow the pod from time to time?
hmm yeah thats a pretty decent idea to ask to borrow now and again, but even though hes my friend.. hes a complete dick ahaha!
Gear:

LTD MH250NT w/EMG's
Jackson DKMG
Peavey 6505 Head
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2