So, I finally got my new guitar and I'm looking for an amp now to replace a piece of shit I currently have.

I think I've limited my search down to these two amps as they are in my budget and I like the idea of having plenty of tonal options in my practice amp without the need for numerous pedals keeping in mind this is purely for my own bedroom entertainment.

Firstly I'll tell you what I want out of the amp in priority order. My main passion is playing metal music, nothing ridiculously heavy, the majority of the time I like to play Metallica and Megadeth and the heaviest I'd ever get is Slayer but not very often. Secondly I quite like playing a bit of blues/jazz occasionally when the mood takes me but I stress not as much as playing metal.

So my questions are these...

1) Are the Vypyr's truely unreliable, I mean thats not something I can judge instore. Any horror stories or if you want to vouch for the Vypyr I'd appreciate any offerings...?

2) On the Peavey Vypyr, are the stompboxes and increase in speaker size worth the extra money over the 15W version? Specifically, are any of the stompboxes useful and does the speaker size really affect the tone of this amp?

3) Now, I'm kinda getting the impression the VT is a little more versatile at hard rock and anything downwards and would be far better equipped to handle jazz/blues (YouTube videos I've watched seem to back this up) but many think the Vypyr is better for metal and there just ain't many metal players with a Vox VT15 on YouTube.

HOWEVER, I do like to play the bands I mentioned earlier. So the question is, where should I trade off? Is the Peavey so rubbish at jazz/blues that I'm better off getting a VT and compromising a little on the heavy side, or is the VT just not inclined to play metal at all? That's the balancing act that is weighing on my mind so any experiences with the two amps across these genres would be very useful.

P.S. I know I'm going to be told to try both and see what I think, and I will, but I like that peace of mind

Kind regards.
honestly, either are probably a fine choice. i would lean towards the Peavey because of its numerous high gain models (Rectifier, 6505, Krankenstein, Diezel, JSX). i personally think the clean models (Vox, Fender Twin, Deluxe, etc.) are pretty good sounding. the stompboxes definately come in handy, especially the Tubescreamer, compressor, BC Chorus, other ones too. i wouldn't hesitate to get the 30 watt version if you have the money; louder, and most will say better sound. i have had no problems that could not be corrected by restarting the amp or making sure it's warm enough.

if you went with the VT, you could always buy a distortion/OD pedal and pop it in front of the amp.
I had the SAME dilemma about 2 months ago lol

whether to pick the vyper or the Vox.

I choose the Vox.

I play alot of metal and the Vox can do metallica and megadeath great (from what I play.

the vyper is leaned ALOT more towards metal but I love a good clean also.

I needed a amp that versatile and the Vox is just more versatile in my opinion.

it had been very reliable from the get go.

Don't get me wrong,the Vyper is a amazing amp,for metal, but I needed something that could give me great cleans and a good crunch.

if you play with the eg enough you can get a good metal sound out of it.

but don't expect anything really deep (suicide silence,whitechapel,Etc.) but it can nail metallica perfect.

I would buy this amp again if I needed to.

But I also gotta get a amp for my much heavier stuff.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
I had the SAME dilemma about 2 months ago lol

whether to pick the vyper or the Vox.

I choose the Vox.

I play alot of metal and the Vox can do metallica and megadeath great (from what I play.

the vyper is leaned ALOT more towards metal but I love a good clean also.

I needed a amp that versatile and the Vox is just more versatile in my opinion.

it had been very reliable from the get go.

Don't get me wrong,the Vyper is a amazing amp,for metal, but I needed something that could give me great cleans and a good crunch.

if you play with the eg enough you can get a good metal sound out of it.

but don't expect anything really deep (suicide silence,whitechapel,Etc.) but it can nail metallica perfect.

I would buy this amp again if I needed to.

But I also gotta get a amp for my much heavier stuff.

That's cool, really Metallica and Megadeth is what I want to nail pretty well. I'm no deathcore player or anything like that. That is what the decision hinges on for me.

If I can get that out of the VT + the benefit of better cleans that would be ideal.
If need be you can always go to the xl series which are more suited fo metal
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
A Valvetronix will do thrashmetal just fine. They really only runs out of gain when you start pushing it into brutal territory and drop the tuning below d. The attenuator is also very responsive, whereas IMHO Vypyrs are just too ****ing loud for practice amps.
Ya, I have the Valvetronix AD30VT-XL and it the metal version of the amps. I found the 30W version with the 12" speaker for a great price and got it over the Vypyr and the Spider and the Cubes in the same price range.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
you could get the Vox VT-XL, which is more suited for metal (and its all black!)

I have a AD50VT and it has served me well over the years.
I live in Iceland, I'm not sure the XL version is readily available here outside of the 50W version which is overkill for me.

It's just a straight choice between the VT15 or a Vypyr 30.

I'm thinking the VT15 could be a good choice with the option of getting a pedal later if I need a meatier sound. Do they take pedals fairly well?
My 30 watt has a built in attenuator so you can play with everything cranked and turn it down from 0.1W to 30W or something like that. Headphone jack too.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
The attenuator on the VT could be a real bonus for me as I live in an apartment...

I'm thinking if I wanted a Vypyr 30 for the extra options I'd have to have it on Volume 1 at all times...
I`ve just ordered the Vypyr 15 this morning. Ive heard the 30 and the 15, the 15 for home use is more than loud enough. Depends what your looking to do in the future.
Ive just started playing and will only ever use the guitar as a hobbie at home so the 15 watt vypyr is fine. Hearing the vypyr is great..main reason it handles playing all types of music really well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^but it has less features and a small speaker

so why did you bump this if you don't even OWN it yet?

Post in the ONly Vypyr thread please!

I think you need to re -read my post and the "heard" and "ordered part"

he`s a beginner I would of thought...

And why to people on this forum always moan at new users for posting in the wrong section. Just let people know or move it!..
I bought the Vypyr 100 about 6 weeks ago. I didn't really need the 100W but I got a good deal on it so went with it. 6 weeks is hardly the longest time, but I have had no real issues with it at all. The amp froze on me just the once but in retrospect that was me being too eager when it was brand new - I switched it on and immediately started flicking through all the different options and it froze. A simple off/on sorted it. The amp runs software and needs a few seconds to initialise. So I turn on, wait 10 seconds and am good to go. When first switching on you hear a bit of fuzz which, according to a tech on the Peavey forums, is the system initialising, then it fades completely. I've not had any problems at all since and use it every day.

I've also not encountered the startup issue with a guitar plugged in that you may see on other threads. I strongly believe those issues have been fixed by firmware updates.

The variety of sounds is incredible and I find it very very good for metal. I love it.