So I've come across an interesting problem that I haven't been able to find m(any) answers for. My recordings (acoustic especially) sound significantly more clear and powerful when played louder. Some people may be thinking (duh, you're moving more air, blah blah) but I don't notice it on anybody else's recordings. If I play the recording at low to moderate volumes the low end isn't represented very well and the highs don't really shimmer but if I really crank it, the tracks sound amazing.

What's going on? How can I fix this?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
okay record then play it at high volumes and record the better sounding playback
That's just music in general. I don't know how you can't hear it on other recordings, because that's how everything is. That's the reason I spent a few hundred bucks for a legit sound system in my 20 year old Volvo, because music is meant to be LOUD!

You can probably 'fix' it with a compressor if you set it properly. Give that a shot.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
adjust your levels? what program are you using?
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by Sid McCall
That's just music in general. I don't know how you can't hear it on other recordings, because that's how everything is. That's the reason I spent a few hundred bucks for a legit sound system in my 20 year old Volvo, because music is meant to be LOUD!

You can probably 'fix' it with a compressor if you set it properly. Give that a shot.

I actually did just notice it haha, I was wrong. It's more noticeable on acoustic stuff though am I right?

I was thinking about trying something with a compressor to "fix it." Maybe I should just play it loud.

Music is meant to be loud. But only if you want it to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Ergo.

Yeah, I was just reading up on this. But thanks
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Do NOT try to compete in that "loudness war". brickwall compression and shit will ruin the song's energy and it will sound artificial and lame.
Quote by GisleAune
Do NOT try to compete in that "loudness war". brickwall compression and shit will ruin the song's energy and it will sound artificial and lame.

+1 & <3
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
I think loudness crated by over compression & brickwalling can be well used as an effect - Queens Of The Stone Age's music wouldn't sound right without that dirty, over compressed sound.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?