so i have a progression at the beginning of one of one of my songs that goes Dm C G G. Is it "ok" for the G to not be minor because with fingerpicking it makes the major a lot more fun to play with. I have Gm7s later in the song as well if that means anything. thanks UG
is it ok?

Well, does it sound good to your ears? if so, then your answer is yes. If it does not then well, no.

There is nothing illegal or wrong when it comes to music. If it sounds good, play it.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Well of course its fine, I mean yes technically Gm would be the "correct" chord. I mean you could also consider this to be a D Melodic Minor in which case you would have both the Bb, and the B, which makes both the G, and the Gm "correct". But the point was its your progression, nothing you do is wrong if its what you want it to sound like.
Quote by isaac_bandits
That's fine, although that progression is in C...

You can't really be sure about that from so little information. My first instinct would be D dorian.
Quote by werty22
You can't really be sure about that from so little information. My first instinct would be D dorian.
The progression is ii - I - V in C. That's a fairly standard progression.

Edit: Of course, this doesn't account for the Gm7 chord later in the song. I would need to see that in context.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The progression is ii - I - V in C. That's a fairly standard progression.

Edit: Of course, this doesn't account for the Gm7 chord later in the song. I would need to see that in context.

I would say the tonic is most likely D, since TS was trying to decide whether to use a Gm or a G. If the tonic was C, the G would probably be the obvious choice and he wouldn't think twice about it.

But yes, one would have to hear it in context to know for sure.
Quote by werty22
But it's not modal. If the tonic is D, it would just be Dm.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
But it's not modal. If the tonic is D, it would just be Dm.

It could be modal. We still don't know the context. And in any case, D dorian would be useful for soloing over it.