Found a guy interested in some things I have for trade who has a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 head he's offering. I've been looking for a high gain tube amp.

Made In USA (Blue Tolex, Gold Knobs)
Said he's put about $500 worth of mods into it including:
-Mercury Magnetics Transformers
-Point to Point Handwiring
-Doc Electro Mod'd gain stages, (More transparent, not so muddy and toneless at high gain)

Doc Electro Website:
http://www.docelectro.com/

I've never heard of Doc Electro. Anyone here heard of him?

Any thoughts on this or knowledge of the mods? How would these mods improve the stock tone?
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 8, 2010,
Marty friedman, ex megadeth used one. They do metal well. but the trebly kind I found. Nice amps for right price.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
well he lied hands down, nothing from crate is made in the US, id check to make sure he really did the mecurey mod, if he did do it, they normally add alot of bottom end punch, or they came with the Doc Electro? mod. I cant remember but i thought the Vodoos had a printed circuit board
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
well he lied hands down, nothing from crate is made in the US, id check to make sure he really did the mecurey mod, if he did do it, they normally add alot of bottom end punch, or they came with the Doc Electro? mod. I cant remember but i thought the Vodoos had a printed circuit board

Yeah, there is Crate stuff that is made in the USA. Look at the Palomino.
^+1 I about to say that lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I know there were blue voodoos made in the USA.

Any other thoughts on this amp or the mods?
Your best bet is to request some detailed pictures. If he's a good guy he'll have no problem taking the amp apart and showing the guts/what exactly was done. After that, its up to you to play it and see if you like it.

Apart from that, the Blue Voodoos are a fairly decent amp for the price. They've got a nice sizzle to them, more high end mush..which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're into that. Off the top of my head, one recent band that uses the BV is Funeral For a Friend. Check out some of their live stuff on Youtube.