Page 1 of 11
Crazy stuff. Did they charge him more because he's wealthier?

EDIT: Oops, no duh they did.
_Don't click the "O" in "Dough".
!DOUGH_BOY!
- Fatal consequences will ensue.
yeah it makes sense.
If it's affordable maybe he'll just see it as a service.
so, rather than a fine, he might see it as a luxury and pay in advance.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I wanna be really damn poor and go there so I can just speed around as much as i want and have to pay like 34 cents each time i get caught
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
ya know, I think that's a pretty fair system. otherwise rich people wouldn't really care about getting a ticket since a hundred bucks or so is just drop in the bucket
I don't pay fines for political and moral reasons
Sounds fair to me.

Fines should sting or they don't act as a deterant. $110 for speeding to me is a lot, to a millionaire? is one less bottle of champagne on their yacht.

10 points to the Swiss for getting it right once again.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I like this system
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by GaijinFoot

icwutudidthar
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by GaijinFoot

Where did the phrase "for political and moral reasons" start?
To all the people who are saying this is a good thing:

Ever thought that this man might have actually worked hard to get his fortune? SOME millionaires actually deserve their money because they've put the hours in and worked for every penny.

So then fining him this amount seems double overkill, bearing in mind he'll pay higher taxes anyway and higher living costs.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Ever thought that this man might have actually worked hard to get his fortune? SOME millionaires actually deserve their money because they've put the hours in and worked for every penny.

So then fining him this amount seems double overkill, bearing in mind he'll pay higher taxes anyway and higher living costs.

Yet he chose to speed, I don't feel bad for him. If he would have followed the law like he's supposed to he wouldn't have gotten a speeding ticket.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Damn government taking my hard earned money. Down with obamunism!!!!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

and poor people don't work just as hard for their money?
for a person on low income a $110 fine might be 2 or 3% of their annual income.
Isn't it fair to fine at a fixed percent rather than a fixed number?

Like someone already said. A fine should sting, that's its goal, if it didn't sting it'd become like a service you pay to have the privilege of driving fast.
I'm sorry but I fail to see how fair it actually is.

Maybe this millionaire worked his way to achieve the pay he has gotten and became a millionaire by his own means and sacrifices...

Because he has achieved more, he's punished more?

I know in NY they revoke your license if you **** up enough, and maybe the laws could be much more strict than they already are.

If this Swiss is a trust fund baby then my point isn't valid, they can go **** themselves. Maybe it's just the way my capitalist scum mind works...

edit: ^^ maybe a percentage is fair to a certain point, but $290,000 for speeding?
Last edited by DangerPat 00 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by thsrayas
Yet he chose to speed, I don't feel bad for him. If he would have followed the law like he's supposed to he wouldn't have gotten a speeding ticket.

My point is that $290k might mean a lot if he's worked for it.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

He also deserves a fine for speeding, and in order for those fines to work they need to be an actual deterrent, your point here is completely irrelevant. And his higher living costs are totally on him, no one is forcing him to live in a nice house, eat expensive food etc.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

It should mean a lot, maybe he'll think twice about breaking the law now.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
There is nothing fairer than paying a fine at a fixed percentage of your income.

Quote by DangerPat 00

Maybe this millionaire worked his way to achieve the pay he has gotten and became a millionaire by his own means and sacrifices...

I know in NY they revoke your license if you **** up enough, and maybe the laws could be much more strict than they already are.

If this Swiss is a trust fund baby then my point isn't valid, they can go **** themselves. Maybe it's just the way my capitalist scum mind works...

He's not punished more, he's punished the same.
Can't you see the difference of fining a poor person $1000 and fining a rich person $1000?
The poor person could be complete ruined by that $1000 fine. But a rich person?
Why should speeding hurt one person more than another?
they need to be hurt equally.
That's why a fixed percent is the fairest way.
please tell me that makes sense.
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Jan 8, 2010,
A guy in England got 12 months in jail for speeding on a motorbike, being followed by an unmarked police bike, then after 5 miles or so of high speed safe, straight roads; the copper decided to nick him. Typical.

I think the copper should have been sacked for acting like a twat.
That's stupid.

Thank god they don't have that kind of system here in America.

That's like saying, "Aww, you're not making alot of money? Here's a Ferrari for only 25k the nasty rich man will 200k, but no you're special. You're not making nearly as much money as the rich man who worked hard for his money so you get it cheaper."

(I'm in no way implying that anyone who isn't rich doesn't work hard.)

Quote by GaijinFoot
There is nothing fairer than paying a fine at a fixed percentage of your income.

He's not punished more, he's punished the same.
Can't you see the difference of fining a poor person $1000 and fining a rich person $1000?
The poor person could be complete ruined by that $1000 fine. But a rich person?
Why should speeding hurt one person more than another?
they need to be hurt equally.
That's why a fixed percent is the fairest way.
please tell me that makes sense.

Speeding doesn't hurt your wallet as much as it hurts your record.

You speed once you can get it removed, you speed again in (whatever) time after the incident, it stays on your record. It doesn't matter how much money you make.

It's not like just because it didn't hurt his wallet he's gonna be speeding all over the place all the time.

It's not fair at all to charge someone who's making more money, more.
Last edited by SeEsAw12 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

And the $100 speeding ticket I got a couple of years ago meant A LOT for me since I spend almost all my earnings on college, I have almost no spending money, believe me that ticket hurt. The ticket SHOULD hurt, it shouldn't be a small reminder that you should follow the law, it should be a slap in the face that tells you that you screwed up, and I'm willing to bet that if this guy got a smaller fine he wouldn't care very much but now he might slow down.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by DangerPat 00

edit: ^^ maybe a percentage is fair to a certain point, but $290,000 for speeding?

If you can't pay the fine. Don't do the crime. It's not like he was speeding by accident. You don't commit a murder and then complain that you have tio go to prison for a while.

Just remember, it's percentage based, so how much it stings is all relative, 290k is a lot to you and I, but to a rich person, it's an inconvenience.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
and might I add that there will be a huge bias for better looking cars now...

a cop sees a Lambo going 10 mph and a honda going 20 above the limit, I'm sure the cop will stop the lambo to get a higher ticket, but is it necessarily the more dangerous car?
Quote by SeEsAw12
That's stupid.

Thank god they don't have that kind of system here in America.

That's like saying, "Aww, you're not making alot of money? Here's a Ferrari for only 25k the nasty rich man will 200k, but no you're special. You're not making nearly as much money as the rich man who worked hard for his money so you get it cheaper."

(I'm in no way implying that anyone who isn't rich doesn't work hard.)

Actually no it isn't, it's about making these things a deterrent, a $100 speeding ticket is not going to be much of a deterrent to a millionaire.

Last.fm
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Nobody DESERVES a million dollars. People only deserve the minimum it takes to live. Anything more than that is luxury. I find it pretty hard to feel any sympathy for a man who has to pay a 200,000 dollar ticket and still lives a much more comfortable life than me. And anyway if it's a percentage that's the exact same thing as a regular person paying a couple hundred dollars.

If he didn't have to pay that much he could speed as much as he wanted and receive a fine that, to him, would be the equivalent of pocket change.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
He also deserves a fine for speeding, and in order for those fines to work they need to be an actual deterrent, your point here is completely irrelevant. And his higher living costs are totally on him, no one is forcing him to live in a nice house, eat expensive food etc.

Ever thought that he might have family to look after? Bills to pay?

It should mean a lot, maybe he'll think twice about breaking the law now.

There is a MAJOR difference between a deterrent and punishing this man for his achievements.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Actually no it isn't, it's about making these things a deterrent, a $100 speeding ticket is not going to be much of a deterrent to a millionaire.

It is when it stays on his record.

Speed once: get it removed.
Speed again: It stays on there.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Nobody DESERVES a million dollars. People only deserve the minimum it takes to live. Anything more than that is luxury. I find it pretty hard to feel any sympathy for a man who has to pay a 200,000 dollar ticket and still lives a much more comfortable life than me. And anyway if it's a percentage that's the exact same thing as a regular person paying a couple hundred dollars.

If he didn't have to pay that much he could speed as much as he wanted and receive a fine that, to him, would be the equivalent of pocket change.

somebody call the waaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

I agree it's a luxury..

A luxury he busted his ass for.
Last edited by SeEsAw12 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by GodofCheesecake

As I said before, he's probably WORKED and SACRIFICED things to get where he is, and to have earned what he has.

And in my eyes that alone is enough to say he DESERVES the $20m he's got.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

There is a MAJOR difference between a deterrent and punishing this man for his achievements.

he might, and he's still a millionaire, I dount he's going to have any problems feeding his family, why would you even bring that up, it's a total non-issue.

He's not being punished for his achievments he's being punished fairly because he commuted a crime. Do you not understand the concept of relative wealth?

Quote by SeEsAw12
It is when it stays on his record.

Speed once: get it removed.
Speed again: It stays on there.

I really doubt a minor traffic infraction is going to affect this guy much even if it is on his record, I doubt he's ever going to need to get a job as a driver or valet.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by DangerPat 00

The thing is he (theoretically) isn't punished more. He's punished equally in proportion to his income.

At first I thought it sounded crazy, but it makes some sense.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

The guy's estimated worth is $20mil, I assure you that if he can't pay his bills and feed his family then he is reckless with his money and is a complete moron. He's also a repeat offender and was going 35mph over the speed limit, how can you possibly argue against this?

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
As I said before, he's probably WORKED and SACRIFICED things to get where he is, and to have earned what he has.

And in my eyes that alone is enough to say he DESERVES the $20m he's got.

You don't know that! Not only that, but he was a repeat offender, they should fine him and take away his license for that.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
he might, and he's still a millionaire, I dount he's going to have any problems feeding his family, why would you even bring that up, it's a total non-issue.

He's not being punished for his achievments he's being punished fairly because he commuted a crime. Do you not understand the concept of relative wealth?

Now read the last post I made. The rich should not be handed large fines simply for BEING rich.