as the title says....
when i write music, i tend to be more on the hard rock/metal side. my lyrics however seem to "emotional", too "passionate" and too "heartbreaking" as my bandmates and others have said. i completely agree with them.

the thing is, i want to keep all my lyrics and try to write some music that fits my style of lyrics (think "Bring Back the Sun" or "Not Enough" by Our Lady Peace). I know how to play both of these songs as well as similar things, but every time i try to write something like this (music) it fails horribly. my band members are closer than i am but still no luck. for us metal and hard rock music is just so easy to do and we have the lyrics to back it up but we dont want to be stuck just in that sort of genre.

any advice on how we can write something more like these sorts of songs (i dont mean the power chord chorus obviously but the picking, solos and melody). how do you guys do it? any chord progressions or scales or anything that we could work with? we're stuck.
Post hardcore?
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
no, not so much post hardcore.
stuff more like OLP's Gravity album, Shinedown, some Alter Bridge, even stuff by Lights i find very emotional sounding (dont bash me, i love her work).

i'm just looking to break away from the Metal/Hard Rock and try writing some music that has a bit more soul in it to try to fit my lyrics. Our Lady Peace is a HUGE influence to me. i dont want to sound like them, but their music on Gravity is incredible in my opinion.
My first suggestion to you is to slow things down. Hard rock/metal, which while much more fun to play, a lot of times loses the purpose of the lyrics, it becomes more about the lyrics enhancing the music than the other way around, the lyrics tell the story, let them tell it..

Finding the balance of the music to lyrics (tempo, rhythm, sound) should be available to you in your lyrics, you know how emotional it needs to sound. Just start slow and deep in tone, then build up, consider, as you mentioned Alter Bridge, "Blackbird" or "Broken Wings", not very complicated, but they are very slow songs and build up. One thing I would recommend is to listen to Hurt, sometimes slow and soft evokes more in the lyrics than fast and loud as hell. By the way, Gravity is definitely a great album to consider when changing things up

Also, experiment with alternate tunings.. Drop C or C# is usually low enough to get some good strong tone out of it..
i do play everywhere from standard to drop Bb on occasion and pretty well anything between including tonnes of open tunings and what not. i'm used to playing everywhere.

my problem lies mostly in that i dont know much theory other than what the other guitarist has shown me (he's going to university for guitar). he doesn't have that feel for electric since he plays mostly classical and acoustic so all our electric bits rely on me to be written after he gives me scales, chords, etc. He usually comes up with amazing chord progressions on the acoustic but i dont know how to make a good sounding thing over top of it (we've been doing this longer than metal, but recently chose that route because it was easier).

basicly, i just need some help to know how to make things over top of his acoustic. not soloing (although this i could use a bit insight on too) but more so picking so it sounds emotional.
Test everything. And more. Also, if you want real emotion from the guitar: cooperate with the guitarist on what he FEELS is most appropriate for the lyrics (which you should both help writing). If he goes to a university that specializes in tutoring guitar students, then he should be able to whip out some funky pickings.

Just do some random picking and if it doesn't work out/sounds too stiff, try something else out. Just make sure you are conscious about what you're doing with your right hand (don't interpret this the wrong way) so that when you finally find that cool picking, you can actually write it down.

If you are unsure about the note-table, use software that can make tabs into notes (e.g. Guitar Pro, PowerTab) and print it for your guitarist to view.

Voila, you have become instantly awesome.