Page 1 of 4
Alright this is what happened, It's 12:30 and i go to my car to look for some matches to light up a joint that i have. I go out to my porch, smoke it, go inside to play video games. As i'm playing call of duty, I hear my doorknob turn as if someone is trying to get in. I stop and think...who the hell would do that? So i check the peekhole and i see a ****ing cop and a huge dog going down the stairs away from my apartment. I freak out head to my room and dump all my weed.

I do not plan on bringing weed into my house anymore....as i'm writing this i see the cop car passing by my house....i'm not scared cause i know they now have nothing on me....but i live with my mom and if she found out that this is happening she would freak out and possibly kick me out...

my question to the pit is, is what the cop did legal?

tl;dr-cop tried opening my door with drug dog then left, i dumped my weed, i see him passing by my house, i think he might try it again...
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
I don't know what you mean by him trying to "open the door with a drug dug," but if a drug dog detects something that gives a cop probable cause so he can search your home/car/whatever the dog detected drugs in without a warrant.
He was just a male stripper with a dog thats into bestiality.

They were looking for the party.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
This is why you don't do drugs.

Dem dogs got a great sense of smell
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
No. Its not legal to enter at all unless they have a search warrant/you answer the door. Also they must identify themselves as a police officer, hence the phrase "Police department! open up!" or "this is the police, come out with your hands up!".

what a ****ing dick. our tax dollars at work i suppose. busting people for the giggles and playing xbox again. damn those menaces to society, writing poems and watching LOTR marathons.
Quote by Nelsean
He was just a male stripper with a dog thats into bestiality.

They were looking for the party.

He's right. I ordered you a stripper, cus I know its your birthday within the next year.

Thanks for shoving the present back in my face, and not opening the door
RIP Tom Searle.
he was at your door because he wanted some weed, his dog could detect it.
RIG
Guitars:
Fender American Strat
Carvin Bolt
Aria Fa 71
Epiphone Les Paul
Yamaha FG700S

Amps:
Hughes and Kettner Trilogy Half Stack
Marshall MG *hides*

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby
Do drug dogs finding of a drug count as "Probably cause" that you committed a crime? Not for a full out search without your consent (You can consent to them searching and no more warrant needed) but I think they cant just outright search the house with just a dog...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
they need a warrant or your permission to search your house, even if you answer the door you don't have to let them in.

Quote by Chaos Nil
Do drug dogs finding of a drug count as "Probably cause" that you committed a crime? Not for a full out search without your consent (You can consent to them searching and no more warrant needed) but I think they cant just outright search the house with just a dog...

yeah if a drug dog finds something and the cops can ID it then it's probable cause for search/arrest.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by TSmitty6
No. Its not legal to enter at all unless they have a search warrant/you answer the door. Also they must identify themselves as a police officer, hence the phrase "Police department! open up!" or "this is the police, come out with your hands up!".

what a ****ing dick. our tax dollars at work i suppose. busting people for the giggles and playing xbox again. damn those menaces to society, writing poems and watching LOTR marathons.

A dog smelling something gives probable cause.

Quote by Chaos Nil

Pretty sure it does. It works the same if you're pulled over. An officer can call a K-9 unit over, if they detect something that gives them the right to search your car.
How on earth do you use a dog to open a door? They don't even have any corners to pry it open with, they're a highly inefficient door opening mechanism.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they need a warrant or your permission to search your house, even if you answer the door you don't have to let them in.

yeah if a drug dog finds something and the cops can ID it then it's probable cause for search/arrest.

Yea i would've talked to him and told him he couldn't come in but he didn't even knock...he literally just tried opening my front door...what did he think was gonna happen? he would've opened my door and saw me playing video games and i would've freaked out cause i don't know who the **** was trying to open my front door...
Quote by DieGarbageMan

What a talented person.
Did the cop try and open the door or did the dog smell the weed and go crazy jumping on the door? Cops need a search warrant to come in but all it takes is a call to the judge telling him the dog smells something.
When I read the title, I had an image of a police officer throwing a dog at a door to try and open it.
Quote by blue_strat
When I read the title, I had an image of a police officer throwing a dog at a door to try and open it.

me too.
Sail upon the open skies
He doesn't have the right to barge into your house for no reason. However, if he saw you smoking the joint then he has reasonable cause. (Sorta stating the obvious.)
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
I think that when you're doing something illegal, especially when the fucking dog smells it, cops can come in. Right?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

To answer the question, yes it was an overenthusiastic cop trying to overstep his authority.

If you're in your car smoking weed, then they have the right to pull you over, search you etc. But if you're on private property, they have to either get the permission of the homeowner to enter, or get a warrant to search the premises.
I've never heard of using a drug sniffing dog to get probable cause to search a house (I have heard it for cars, of course). I have seen them try to get you to open your door so they can look in from outside for paraphernalia or any other probable cause.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by BobDetroit
Did the cop try and open the door or did the dog smell the weed and go crazy jumping on the door? Cops need a search warrant to come in but all it takes is a call to the judge telling him the dog smells something.

no the dog was very calm in fact....he was leading the dog more then any thing.......just a dick cop....

he was with a unit called the N.O.V.A. patrol....its like a neighborhood cop watch thing i guess :/
Quote by DieGarbageMan

What a talented person.
he tried to open the door with the dog? like a battering ram?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Shpongled
I don't know what you mean by him trying to "open the door with a drug dug," but if a drug dog detects something that gives a cop probable cause so he can search your home/car/whatever the dog detected drugs in without a warrant.

I'm a law student and I agree. They sometimes do this, walk around shady neighborhoods with dogs.
Quote by Eddie4President
Well, I'll be drugoned.

fix'd
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Lolatyou!
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by blue_strat

I imagined it to be a stuffed one being used like a crowbar
So you don't think he was using the dog to find himself some weed?

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Dude, cops can do whatever the **** they want. They're law men after all.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Hahaha I love this thread. Basically OP gets butthurt because he BROKE THE LAW and then a cop decided to investigate, as if the cop was being unreasonable.

I support the legalisation of weed personally, but as long as your country bases its Marijuana laws on the movie Reefer Madness you have to be subtle. My mates and I have been smoking that stuff for 3 years to different degrees. If you know your area you know where you can go and smoke. Or otherwise smoke indoors.

I know people who get paranoid even that they will be caught indoors though...
Am I bassist that plays guitar, or a guitarist that plays bass? A guitar in a bass amp, a bass in a guitar amp?
Quote by Led Pepplin
Dude, cops can do whatever the **** they want. They're law men after all.

even cops have to obey the law
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by JackalUK
Remind Rodney King of that one, once he gets out of prison.

Rodney King was off his face and had tried to attack the officers, that was before the video started rolling.

Still that sparked the LA riots, which was a fine example of law abiding citizens.
Am I bassist that plays guitar, or a guitarist that plays bass? A guitar in a bass amp, a bass in a guitar amp?
He should've used a battering ram but good for you he failed busting the door.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Man, police need to find better stuff to do.
The rape conviction rate is like 15%, work on that for a while or something.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Seems like you got a nosey neighbour to me.

When I smoke at home I sit out on the windowsill like spiderman and smoke. I go topless aswell so my clothes don't absorb the smell. One time I was just sitting out their smoking a joint and there was my neighbour just staring at me topless on my windowsill.

Needless to say I shat my pants and scrabbled back inside as quickly as possible.
Page 1 of 4