I have an SG copy that used to play great but now I've found that when the two highest strings are played at the 12th fret they are low. I have tried moving the tuneomatic saddles to sit as far in the direction of the pickups as possible and then re-tuning but the intonation is still off. It's as if the whole bridge needs to be moved closer (though this is impossible without major guitar surgery). could it be something to do with the truss rod or bridge height?
Hmm... Bridge height would change the intonation some. I think the truss rod could change intonation also but you shouldn't change the truss rod for that reason. Truss rod is for neck relief not anything else (like action)
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I've found that in some cases the bridge just can't intonate a string. The main culprits in this issue have usually been: manufacturer & string guage. Blue Steels were always a pain in the @ss for me when it came to intonation. Ernie Ball slinkys seemed to be a bit tempermental for me as well. I've had the best results with D'Addario 10-46. Rock solid all the time. Hope this helps.
hmm i havn't heard the one about string guage before. I use Ernie Ball super slinkys n havn't changed them for a while do you really think that could be it?
Well on TOMs you can turn the saddles around and get a little more intonation travel sometimes. But you do need the action and truss rod set right to begin with. If things are to high or to much relief in the neck pressing the string down so far can throw off the intonation. As a last resort the gotoh TOM has more intonation travel than the gibson style does.
if you can find a nashville TOM they have more room for saddle movement than normal toms. also turning the saddle around so the flat edge is facing the pickups (if its not already that way) will help you get some more reach.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Is this an Epiphone by chance? I've seen several models with similar problems in the past while.

The only cheap way that sometimes helps is turning the saddles round. Otherwise it might not be worth it with a cheap copy guitar.
its not an epiphone its an even cheaper monterey lol and yes the TOM bridge is already faced in the way that you guys are suggesting. Holding a peice of metal in front of the bridge touching the strings and then re-tuning shows that I probably need another centimeter of intonation travel before the problem is fixed. maybe.
Seriously? A whole centimeter? That's pretty bad...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
actually no its not a centimeter sorry its not as bad as i thought but still the saddles i have cant be adjusted any further
hmm been playing with bridge height for the last hour and that hasn't really helped so I'm starting to think it way be the truss rod, but yea any help guys??
The truss rod is for relief in the neck, not intonation. Check the relief before you start messing with it.
Are the strings old ? if so put new ones on. No need in trying to intonate with old strings.
Oh My F**king God!! it was the strings after all this time of adjusting and stressing all i needed to do was change some old strings! let it be noted to anyone with similar problems to change the strings before you do any adjustments! my god I'm an idiot thanks sstony ur a champ
Quote by Village-idiot
Oh My F**king God!! it was the strings after all this time of adjusting and stressing all i needed to do was change some old strings! let it be noted to anyone with similar problems to change the strings before you do any adjustments! my god I'm an idiot thanks sstony ur a champ

Glad to help, usually it´s something simple that causes problems and can be fixed within minutes.
I wonder why we didn't suggest the strings yet... I guess we all sorta expected you would change the strings every so often. Just for the record, how long have you had those strings on? I usually don't change my electric guitar's strings for a good half a year...
Quote by Chaos Nil
I wonder why we didn't suggest the strings yet... I guess we all sorta expected you would change the strings every so often. Just for the record, how long have you had those strings on? I usually don't change my electric guitar's strings for a good half a year...

A half a year is a long time, I change every couple of weeks. But I play alot and doing 1 to 2 gigs a month fresh strings are a must.
Just a note- for those who are lucky to play 20 minutes a week- I would recommend DR coated strings. I have them on all 3 of my guitars and they last 6 month or more. I can never remember the last time I changed them.

I have some elixers I will put on due to availability of 11 gauge DR's and I will see if they last as long.

I have never had a set of DR's go flat yet. Worth the extra money for me!
Well I change my acoustic strings much more often than my electric guitar's strings. My electric seems to get a lot less benefit from new strings.
Quote by Chaos Nil

yea well i have no idea when i last changed the strings as i barely play this guitar (cos i have a better one lol) and only just discovered the intonation problem before i was about to sell it which was at least four months ago but didn't sell it because of the problem. i only just decided to do something about it and am now kicking my own ass for the mistake lol
I'm glad you fixed your problem. That stuff can drive someone nuts. But one thing to remember is that changing your string gauge will make your intonation go bat-sh!t crazy. Just something to keep in mind for later. Keep rockin' bro.
thx dude u too and thx for all the suggestions i imagine i'll eventually need them all n i'll know where to come if i need more lol