Yeah, sorry to make a song suggestion thread...

However;

My buddy has been on my back about practicing major fiths, while I've fallen into drop tuning (lately mostly Drop C).

I'm wondering if folks could make a few suggestions for some good songs that make heavy use of major 5ths... preferably still drop tuned?

I'm a metal fan mostly, but genre doesn't matter as much as just finding something that will motivate me to practice making my fingers hurt!

Thanks in advance!
no such thing as a major 5th afaik.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Gah...
I think my noob is showing.

Umm...
Think something like:
-3-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-5-
-3-

Did I completely blow the term?
A GMaj barre Chord?

That make use of a Dominant (The 5th - In this case D)?
Do you really want me to name every pop song ever written?

Edit: There is no such thing as a Major 5th. You have a Tritone (Sharp 4/Flat 5), a Perfect 5th then a Minor 6th.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Jan 8, 2010,
Er...
I'm all of a sudden, not sure I know what I'm talking about.
:p

ok... you've got your powercord which would be tabbed like this:
---
---
---
---
-5-
-3-

then you're 5th, which is:

---
---
---
---
-5-
-5-
-3- Right? Or am I already off base?
Quote by BitRaiser
Er...

---
---
---
---
-5-
-3-

---
---
---
---
-5-
-5-

They are both power chords.
the 5 on the second string is the 5th, and the 5 on the third string is the octave.
---
---
---
-5-this is the octave, a doubling of the root one occurrence higher in frequency
-5-this is the fifth
-3-this is the root
Ok.
Heh, bare with me. My group of friends that I'm learning from is weak on theory, heavy on talent. I'm trying to dig into the theory while I pick up some kinda skill (hopefully have some talent).

That form above is what I keep hearing referred to as a fifth.
while something like this:
---
---
---
-4-
-5-
-5-
-3-
would be a major fifth?

I think I have been fed some poor terms.
Quote by BitRaiser
Er...

---
---
---
---
-5-
-3-

---
---
---
---
-5-
-5-

The powerchord you have (the first diagram) is a 5th. The one in the second diagram is also a 5th but with an octave. The interval between the 5th and the octave is a 4th.

EDIT: The above is the same thing but with a stacked 10th.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Last edited by Athabasca at Jan 8, 2010,
That's called a major chord. The fourth fret G string is the third note in the scale, called the major third.

EDIT: To BitRaiser
5ths are usually just called 5ths or Perfect 5ths, because a Perfect 5th (7 semitones) is the only 'normal' type of 5th (as opposed to 3rds, where the major & minor versions are both common).

And when you're in drop tuning, your 5ths on the lowest pitched strings are just

---------
---0----
---0----

The reason that 5ths (and octaves) can only be perfect, augmented or diminished as opposed to major/minor/aug/dim is because of there only being 12 semitones but most full scales have 7 notes. 7*2= 14 so there are 2 less notes than there would need to be to have major/minor everything.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Jan 8, 2010,
^ That's a major chord, but the reason it sounds major is Major 3rd interval between the 4th fret on G string, and the 5th fret on D string. No such thing as Major 5th, as it's called a perfect 5th, as exampled above.

EDIT: Was aiming at post 10, seem to of been beaten to it.
Ah, ok.
Thanks, this makes sense to me.

Yeah, I have discovered the boundless wonder (or worthless crutch, depending on who you ask) of the dropped 5th and the previously mentioned buddy is trying to keep me from under developing my pinky and ring fingers, I think.
perfect fifth.
If you want to remember it try star wars theme: TA - DAAH
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
perfect fifth.
If you want to remember it try star wars theme: TA - DAAH

Heh, actually... I've been working with a "metal" version of the imperial march in drop C. Heavy on the bar fifths, but fun to play.

Worked it out in guitar pro and will prolly post it at some point.