Hey all iv recently had an interview for the music performance course at college, i played master of puppets and showed some scales and chords etc. But was told i needed to come back for a second interview after working on some more basic things such as changing between basic chords.

I cam across as being a typical metalhead kid i guess. good at shredding and powerchording but no good with chords lol! My job now is to prove him wrong and show him that im willing to branch out.

I want a nice song to learn to demonstrate a level of accoustic ability and i wonder what would be a good song to play to show skill at the sime time as demonstrating some basic chord changes? I have a few weeks and any help anybody can give would be fantastic thanks in advance.
How about "Circles" by Joe Satriani?

If you pull off the intro chords nice and cleanly it sounds beautiful
Last edited by Corko93 at Jan 8, 2010,
If you're a metal guitarist, a decent one that is, you should be able to handle nearly anything. What you need to do is rip a legendary jazz peice or something comepletely away from distortion and such. Perhaps even some jazz fuzion improv. If you're technical like that, it's an easy way to impress teachers and such. It got me through high school with near perfect grades .
Blues, Jazz... Hmm... good chords song... Blackbird might be good if you knew fingerpicking... Its lots of different hand positions all across the neck. Its a lot of fun to watch being played because everything isn't at the first 4 frets either.

Edit: Wait, scratch that, your not going to be singing... try something by Syu.... He does a nice job with whatever he plays because its not just shreading as fast as you can...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Jan 8, 2010,
This sounds very familliar, one of my friends did the same but with Enter Sandman. I got in with Californication so he tried that afterwards but still didn't get in.

Dream Catch Me is the first one that comes to mind concerning chords (don't use my tab, i got a couple of chord names wrong) but what i've found with my music collage is that so many kids go up there wanting to play rock or acoustic stuff, the tutors like versitile players so look into funk, country, jazz and just loads of other styles that you wouldn't normally concider.

Good luck
Quote by UltimateDud
If you're a metal guitarist, a decent one that is, you should be able to handle nearly anything.

And that sir is where you are wrong.

Try learning 'Giant Steps' and improving over the changes!
It's harder than you think.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
thanks for the feedback every1. Bear in mind btw, the interviewer is a folk musician who plays a fiddle :P
if he is a folk man, something like blackbird would be great.
if you want to come completely out of left field, play a short classical solo (a transcription of a bach cello suite) or a fingerstyle jazz arrangement (I played one of darn that dream and got into my program with a scholarship
darn that dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQDBWCbTGQ
bach cello suite for guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TxBrQETBEQ
I'm surprised a music performance program at a college would even listen to an audition that involved metal.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
try learning......the more basic things as that's what your interview is going to be. the college really doesn't care about your level of acoustic ability, music colleges study almost mainly jazz and classical, if you don't know a cent about music theory or more basic knowledge which alot of people tend to skip, then you won't be in good shape.
Yeah I was just thinking, "Well blackbird would work then if he is into that stuff." Keep on the lookout for good songs... If haha, play "Cats in the Cradle" and bring tears to his eyes!
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by UltimateDud
If you're a metal guitarist, a decent one that is, you should be able to handle nearly anything.

Wow.... total fail.

Here's why:

Metal is all left hand fingering technique and right hand pick technique. The fingers on the right hand (save for some tapping or whatever) are completely ignored.

This is one of the primary reasons why most colleges and universities with academic degree and diploma programs in music want classical or jazz. (yes, fingerstyle jazz, not just vamping some chords with a pick....) They want to see you play with more than just one hand. They want to see you use all ten fingers - or at least eight of them.

I'm not dissing metal either. I grew up on it in the '80's, and still have a huge soft spot for it now. There's a lot to be said for solid right hand picking technique. But, while a good metal or shred player may be lick-for-lick as solid as any classical player out there, the right hand will never be up to the same standard without that lengthy process of diligent technique building.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Learn some Jazz standards that have basic comp section. if you can comp, it shows you can change chords at bit
As for "finger-style" , an arrangement of a standard such as "black orpheus" or "take five" or "fly me to the moon" arent too difficult and show promise from the standard "metalhead" stereotype
Show that you can do stuff beyond reading tabs, and know a little music theory
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Crazy On You by Heart has a really dope acoustic intro and that continues into some basic chords with some interesting strumming for the rest of the song.
I pretty much agree with everything axemanchris has said. I wouldn't even be surprised if they flat out reject you from now on period because of that first interview. Never play that type of stuff at a college audition.

Anyways, I would trying learning just some basic classical songs. Krantz, Rondo, Landler, etc. As far as jazz, usually a chordal based jazzy version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" sells really good with the old professors. Make sure to finger pick it though and maybe add a little improvisation with the chords too. Like, jump around out of the melody for a bit then get right back in on time and in key. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it, haha!
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Last edited by jasonmetal love at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Doodleface
And that sir is where you are wrong.
I was about to say the same thing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by UltimateDud
If you're a metal guitarist, a decent one that is, you should be able to handle nearly anything. What you need to do is rip a legendary jazz peice or something comepletely away from distortion and such. Perhaps even some jazz fuzion improv. If you're technical like that, it's an easy way to impress teachers and such. It got me through high school with near perfect grades .

To be honest, Jazz is way harder to play well then metal. Granted that is just my opinion, but I do not see a connection between the two that would make me think hey I can play metal I can easily play jazz! For the TS, if you are auditioning for a music school, you are not going to want to play master of puppets. If Jazz is what you are going to play, you need to learn how to play Jazz. I would find a Jazz standard that you like, get the lead sheet for it, and arrange it yourself. Covering a song someone wrote is easy, you need to make your own.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by UltimateDud

what