Hi, I've just recently turned 18, and I want to go on abroad this summer. I have a passport which I got in 2006, and expires 2011. I wondered, do I need to get a new passport now I am an adult or can I use my old one until it runs out?
Thanks
Quote by metacarpi
You know where you should probably look for help with this?

Fucking Google.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/index.htm

Yeah, douchebag, I've looked and the information on there is unclear, I was asking for someone with some experience. Now why dont you **** off unless you actually have an answer to my question!
Last edited by SOADplayer2 at Jan 8, 2010,
Okay then.

Funnily enough, you can use your passport until it expires.

*shock*
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Use until expire. You are still <your name> whether you are 17 or 18.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by SOADplayer2
Funnily enough, this isnt always the case.

I didn't need to renew my passport until I was about 20, so yes it is the case.

And fuck me if you don't already seem to know all about the passport system.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I didn't need to renew my passport until I was about 20, so yes it is the case.

And fuck me if you don't already seem to know all about the passport system.

I didnt mean about the passport system, but there are plenty of times when documents need to be changed at the age of 18.
Use until six months before it expires. As I understand it you can change it prior to this if:

1. You've legally changed your name (marriage, deed poll).
2. Your appearance has substantially changed.

You need to change it six months prior as some countries don't let you in if you've less than six months on it.
Quote by SOADplayer2
Cool, thanks to everyone not being a dick.

Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by SOADplayer2
Cool, thanks to everyone not being a dick.

On the contary, its you calling people a 'douchbag' and telling people to '**** off'. This is the Pit. Obviously you're going to get some flack for laziness. In the time its taken to get an answer here, you could of easily asked your parents, or just worked it out for yourself. Common sense, my friend. Use it.
i think this thread is hilarious. if, for some strange reason, passports expired when their holder turned 18, do you not think that maybe, just maybe, they would make it so that the expiry date can not extend beyond the person's 18th birthday?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i think this thread is hilarious. if, for some strange reason, passports expired when their holder turned 18, do you not think that maybe, just maybe, they would make it so that the expiry date can not extend beyond the person's 18th birthday?

Quote by SOADplayer2
Yeah, douchebag, I've looked and the information on there is unclear, I was asking for someone with some experience. Now why dont you **** off unless you actually have an answer to my question!

Well someone's got a wonderful sense of entitlement don't they?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well someone's got a wonderful sense of entitlement don't they?

Dude, I asked a question. When asking a question, its normal human behaviour to recieve an answer of some kind, not people asking me pointless questions like "Have you googled it?" Yes I have ****ing googled it and I wanted someone who can give me a full answer to provide me with their experiences.
Quote by SOADplayer2
Dude, I asked a question. When asking a question, its normal human behaviour to recieve an answer of some kind, not people asking me pointless questions like "Have you googled it?" Yes I have ****ing googled it and I wanted someone who can give me a full answer to provide me with their experiences.

Rather then spending more than 5 minutes researching it for themselves, or actually applying some sort of logical thought, you jumped up and went and asked the Pit.

Psst, here's a little secret:

Actually getting off the fucking computer and, oh I don't know, going and asking somewhere like the Post Office or your parents will yield much better results.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by SOADplayer2

"I can't find out under my own steam so someone else should give me the answer"... yep, that sounds absolutely right to me.

I'll tell you what though, you definitely shouldn't have phoned this number at all:

I mean that would have just been stupid...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I love the whoop-ass being dealt out here.

Makes me feel all warm and cozy.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Rather then spending more than 5 minutes researching it for themselves, or actually applying some sort of logical thought, you jumped up and went and asked the Pit.

Psst, here's a little secret:

Actually getting off the fucking computer and, oh I don't know, going and asking somewhere like the Post Office or your parents will yield much better results.

Maybe I was under the impression, or maybe delusion, that this website was a community website. Maybe I thought, wrongly or rightly, that it wouldn't be too much trouble for a member on here, for arguments sake, you, to answer the question in a civilised manner, thereby saving me the effort of going to the Post Office, which is a fair distance out of my way. Maybe, I believed that the pit was the place for discussions of all topics, imortant or not. And if you believe that this thread is such a waste of time, why do you keep returning to respond?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
"I can't find out under my own steam so someone else should give me the answer"... yep, that sounds absolutely right to me.

I'll tell you what though, you definitely shouldn't have phoned this number at all:

I mean that would have just been stupid...

Yeah, I'll spend ages on a help line, when I could ask a large community of people who could have given me an answer with no problems whatsoever. If you don't want me to find out here, why not just ignore the thread and then push me to further action? why waste your own time just to tell me I'm wrong?
Quote by SOADplayer2
Yeah, I'll spend ages on a help line, when I could ask a large community of people who could have given me an answer with no problems whatsoever. If you don't want me to find out here, why not just ignore the thread and then push me to further action? why waste your own time just to tell me I'm wrong?

It's part of the whole "teach a man to fish..." thing, I like that whole philosophy. the more stupid questions we deal with this way the less we'll get... in theory.

In the mean time it means I get to keep up my debating skills with the simple folk.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's part of the whole "teach a man to fish..." thing, I like that whole philosophy. the more stupid questions we deal with this way the less we'll get... in theory.

In the mean time it means I get to keep up my debating skills with the simple folk.

You still seem to be avoiding answering the question as to why I would stay on a useless helpline as opposed to asking a large number of people with real experiences? I could argue that posting on this forum is my way of "fishing" and hence I don't need to be taught how to call a helpline when the information is available elsewhere.
Quote by SOADplayer2
You still seem to be avoiding answering the question as to why I would stay on a useless helpline as opposed to asking a large number of people with real experiences? I could argue that posting on this forum is my way of "fishing" and hence I don't need to be taught how to call a helpline when the information is available elsewhere.

Because they can categorically state what is and isn't true about changing your password. Jeez, just stop posting. This thread has become pointless.
Quote by uk.mace
Because they can categorically state what is and isn't true about changing your password. Jeez, just stop posting. This thread has become pointless.

Well I don't appreciate being flamed for asking a question.
Quote by SOADplayer2

You're asking a forum that is known to be mainly inhabited by adolescent american males. Logic there being?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
You should renew it (apply for an adult passport) about 6 months before the expiry date. (just good practice really)
But you can use it up until it expires. When you receive you new passport, you must use it and not the old one.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

TS you're a f*cking idiot, now just give up and concede defeat. Stupid threads like this pop up all the time, if you hadn't had a go at everyone and then gone on about how you were right to post the thread then youd've been fine. In this case, the phrase 'my bad' would have gone a long way.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk