Okay my other topic got locked because people were arguing with each other... please don't let that happen here just be friendly

I take all advice very serious and criticism is good.

I will put a video up when I learn how which is me not doing so good at seek and destroy alternate picking by metallica.

now my question is how do you alternate pick on on solos and faster parts in songs?

I am not very good at solos, I can't actually finish any solo. Best I can do is about 15 seconds of The Killing Road by Megadeth, 15 seconds in of Tornado of Souls by Megadeth, probably the same for The Unforgiven by Metallica, and like 10 seconds in of Trust by Megadeth.

I don't really understand how you can alternate pick all this fast stuff. I watch videos of one of my favourite guitarists in the world an it doesn't make sense to me. His right hand glides, it looks slow, an his left hand (fret hand) is lightning fast.

He is doing all alternate picking while playing death metal solos. I don't get it
Practice makes perfect. You just have to put a lot of time in alternate picking.
I suggest you start slow and play with a metronome and gradually speed up.
Eventually when you got the alternate picking down, you can start with string skipping and such.

Hoped that helped
you start slow, and learn it in segments.

Speed it up once you can play the whole thing.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
And don't underestimate how long it takes, it takes a LOT of practice.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
My old guitar teacher used to nag me all of the time to alternate pick with pretty much every thing I played, even if it wasn't fast just so I got used to it and eventually I ended up alternate picking naturally.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Quote by Slicer666
you start slow, and learn it in segments.

Speed it up once you can play the whole thing.
This. And even when you are speeding up, never speed up past a point where you can play it cleanly and accurately.
Quote by zhilla
This. And even when you are speeding up, never speed up past a point where you can play it cleanly and accurately.

Indeed.

And don't underestimate the time it takes.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
It's been said before, but the best thing to do is practice with a metronome. Play through a scale you know or learn a new one. Or even do a --1--2--3--4--2--3--4--5--3--4--5--6--etc drill on each string (or something similiar) with the metronome and speed it up. Find the fastest speed you can play at perfectly and speed it up for a bit, bring it back down, etc.

I'm not the fastest alternate picker. Best i can do is 8th notes at 208bpm. Sometimes, on good days i get 16th notes at 116bpm, but thats pretty much my max right now. I ended up developing a solid legate technique which i prefer for my solos. I like the smooth, fluent sound i get with legato lines versus alternate picked ones. Plus i can play legato lines a lot faster than i can alternate pick them.
Quote by Powerslave1724
Or even do a --1--2--3--4--2--3--4--5--3--4--5--6--etc drill on each string (or something similiar) with the metronome and speed it up.

Don't. All you'll be able to do is play that exact pattern really fast. At a medium tempo it might be good for a warm up but I wouldn't exercise with it.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
My old guitar teacher used to nag me all of the time to alternate pick with pretty much every thing I played, even if it wasn't fast just so I got used to it and eventually I ended up alternate picking naturally.

This. Try to play everything by alternate picking and then it will come natural.
I was very lucky regarding alt picking. I'm self taught however I always just found it logically to alt pick everything and therefore I have been proficient at it. I only downpick on rythm sections such as master of puppets.

Its been said a million times, just practice it...constantly alt pick.
how much are metronomes i don't have one.

also what is string skipping?
Metronomes don't usually cost that much, you can probably find one for less than $20.

String skipping is when you play a note, and then the next note you play is not on a string adjacent to the one you just played. For example, if you play a note on the A string and then the next note you play is on the G string. You have "skipped" played the D string.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by dyce
how much are metronomes i don't have one.
Maybe $20 or so, not quite sure. You can use an online one: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Quote by dyce
also what is string skipping?

Self explanatory basically, you skip strings. You play a note, and instead of going to the next string, you skip that string and go to the next string.
It's usually used for arpeggios.
why would you do that though that would mess up the song?

also I don't know how to play any scales or arpeggios. I have download all tabs from the internet, use guitar pro, or I have a bunch of tabs already on my computer.
You've misunderstood. You don't take a normal song and skip strings that you're supposed to play.
If you analyze some Racer X tabs, you can see some examples of string skipping... like this one: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/paul_gilbert/scarified_solo_tab.htm
As you can see about halfway down, he's playing some notes on one string, and going 2 strings down and playing more notes instead of playing just the next string down.

Here's an example video of Paul Gilbert himself showing string skipping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvIAuXMl7U
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 8, 2010,
ok thanks I've never heard of that before confused me.
If you've got Guitar Pro you're pretty much set for practicing (GP5 and Ear Master Pro is all I use). Just take the tab for the song you want to learn and slow it down probably1/3-1/4 of the regular speed, then build it up. For the first 2 years that I played I just messed around playing parts of songs and never practiced technique, but once I started and I saw the rewards, it's enough to want to continue practicing rather than noodling. It's just getting over that hump.
ya i kinda noodle since my first post thats all i been doing but i have improved. couldnt do good vibrato or bends or pull offs an all that before now i can.

i just cant play cool stuff smoothly

this is the song im trying to learn.

this guy alternate picks flawlessly havent seen many people better

i cant do that part that starts 59 seconds though cant see the chords he doing

sry forgot to put the movie in lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKxDgOttDHM

dont know his name but he would be a good teacher
Last edited by dyce at Jan 9, 2010,
Paul Gilbert.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by tenfold
He tells you later in the video what to do.

I know I just don't know how to do those chords, he kinda does that part fast for me. other than that I really like those videos.

does anyone know his name?
Last edited by dyce at Jan 9, 2010,
Something you need to realize (which is a hard thing to do and accept) is that you won't be able to play anything like that anytime soon. Even putting in hours of practice won't make you that good in a day. You might notice some small improvements within a week. Within a month you should definitely see some substantial progress. In a year you should be more than twice as good as you are now. And it just keeps going.

A couple years back I realized everything I was doing was incredibly sloppy, inefficient and just... not good. I sat down for the next year and basically just practiced my ass off. I didn't learn much in the way of songs during that time. But it was during that time I established my technique and improved tenfold. Now I can focus more on music than technique. Proper practice is really the key.
I know that but I don't know any scales or anything. I don't have any books either sadly.

So I use guitar pro tabs and those videos to teach me.

and now help from you guys and girls of course.
You should consider learning theory then, because I remember a time when I would also have no idea the chords he's playing, but with my theory knowledge now I could tell you exactly what he's doing.
After learning even basic theory and the notes on the fretboard, you should easily be able to figure out most any metallica song, of course not just metallica but it's an example.

And here are some good theory links:
Freepower's video lessons (check out his bitesize theory lessons first)
The Crusade
The Ultimate Guide To Guitar (they aren't all theory, but you can view the ones that are)
Music Theory FAQ

Quote by Avedas
I established my technique and improved tenfold.

lol. Isn't it weird how when we see words anywhere on the page, we tend to use them in our writing ever so blindly. I do that a lot too.
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 9, 2010,
Ugh. I remember buying that DVD a long time ago, only to be greatly disappointed. It taught maybe one or two riffs from each song without much explanation given.
Quote by wheelz1045
Ugh. I remember buying that DVD a long time ago, only to be greatly disappointed. It taught maybe one or two riffs from each song without much explanation given.

really wow. He seems like a good teacher to me. If he showed tabs and was a bit more thorough on some parts it could be better, be he rocks.

What is the DVD? Do you know his name?
can someone please show me a good thing to practice a fast solo like this one?

I set that metronome site you gave me to 15 speed and I can't play it all. my hand seizes up. I don't understand how you can alternate pick a solo my hand gets totally screwed and I'm staring at the strings and my hand.
Quote by dyce
really wow. He seems like a good teacher to me. If he showed tabs and was a bit more thorough on some parts it could be better, be he rocks.

What is the DVD? Do you know his name?

I don't remember what his name was, but it's from a Metallica: Guitar Riffs DVD that you can buy at music stores. I have it, lost somewhere... shows how much it's worth really.

As for alternate picking, I think you need to work on your picking hand first. Try alternate picking open strings, without worrying about the frets. After you get the hang of it, picking seems like second-nature. So really work on the picking hand.

Try breaking it down into small parts if you're struggling with it.
ok I found out his name thx for telling me the video. His name is Doug Boduch. I really like him.

anyway I think I am gonna post a video showing my alternate picking because I really think I am doing it wrong and I explain this so bad.