Epiphone LP Standard Plus vs Epiphone LP Standard Plain Top

can anyone tell me the diff?? hv checked out the specs, everything seems the same.. can't understand the $70 diff in price!!

Standard Plus $549 (zzounds.com)
Pickups: 2 Humbuckers
Hardware: Chrome
Scale: 24.75 in.
Nut Width: 1.68 in.
Neck Joint: Set
Neck Material: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood/Trapezoid
Binding: Body/Neck
Body Material: Mahogany/Alder
Top: Flame Maple

Standard Plain Top $479 (zzounds.com)
Pickups: Alnico Classic humbuckers
Hardware: Chrome
Scale: 24.75 in.
Nut Width: 1.68 in.
Neck: Set
Neck Material: Mahogany
Fingerboard Inlay: Rosewood with trapezoid
Binding: Body and neck
Body Material: Mahogany
Top: Maple
Tailpiece: Stopbar
The plus top has a flame maple veneer, so it's just the looks that take the price up. Everything else is the same.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Like with any guitar company figured tops bring a little more money because there is more labor involved not really the top itself unless it's an exotic piece of wood like a spalted or burl top. They have to book match the grain & glue it together. It takes a couple extra hours in labor over slapping a plain maple top on the guitar.

Epi uses a solid 1/2" maple top with a solid 1/4" AAA figured top. With arch top guitar you have to use a piece of maple thick enough to carve otherwise you would go thru the grain down to the base mahogany. Contrary to a lot of belief Epi never used a Photo printed or screened tops or a veneer. I confirmed that info right from Gibson just the other day.

Anyway it really doesn't effect tone enough to worry about it, it's the aesthetics of the guitar your paying more for. Some people prefer plain tops I myself like Quilt tops 1st, plain tops 2nd and flame tops last unless it's a very good flame top with exceptional graining.

John