At the moment, i have been playing for a few months, and the genre of music that i want to play, but i know i can't achieve the perfect sound i want.

The type of music i would like to play would be along the lines of:
A Day To Remember
Bring me the horizon
Dance Gavin Dance
Parkway Drive
As i Lay There Dying etc..

I know that the way they sound is in Drop C tuning, mainly palm muting.
But at this moment, i am using a:

Ibanez GRG170DX
GHS Boomers (Strings 10-52)
Line 6 Spyder (Settings are set to perfection)

But, i am still not getting that nice sound grit :/
I really need to find something that i can get a nice gritty tone, but at the same time, have a set up that gives me the perfect harmonics. (Example, A Shot In The Dark - A Day To Remember, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXdAS6AofsM 1:29 into the song)

I have done alot of research and found that the "LandMine LD-1" is pretty good for what i need, or even the "Metal Muff" Stomp boxes are highly recommended.
Does anyone know what i need to achieve the perfect sound i have been craving for since i first played my guitar?

Thanks you guys.
Josh
Last edited by JoshhIBANEZ at Jan 10, 2010,
A new amp would be a much better investment. No setting on the spyder is 'perfection' by a long shot and it doesn't accept pedals well at all.
new amp
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Not very helpful replies for a guitarist of a few months there fellas.

Yes, a new amp would be vital. More or less. But there are several things to bear in mind

The amps that are used to achieve the sounds of those bands (or the majority of bands for that matter) are very much more expensive than your spyder and vast overkill for the maturity of your guitar playing life. Dual recifiers, Engls, Diezels, Bogners, Marshalls (real marshalls not toys like MGs and AVTs), etc etc etc

Even if you had one of those, you not match the tones youre after because they are recorded and mixed sounds. The sound right out of an amp is a very different thing to the sound of an amp through a mic into a mic pre into a desk and sitting in among 50 other things in a mix and coming out of your little (compared to a 4x12) hifi speakers.

Youre better off sticking with what you have and spending as much time as you can playing as many different amps of as many different prices and specs as you can so you can learn the sound and behaviour of them before you understand the sort of thing youre going to get from a big amp upgrade, and also start to learn what you want from an amp.
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Quote by D Man
Youre better off sticking with what you have and spending as much time as you can playing as many different amps of as many different prices and specs as you can so you can learn the sound and behaviour of them before you understand the sort of thing youre going to get from a big amp upgrade, and also start to learn what you want from an amp.
+1
Keep the amp for a while and save your money. Once you are better and you have more money to spend, you will be in a better position to upgrade to some pretty nice gear.
Quote by D Man

Yes, a new amp would be vital. More or less. But there are several things to bear in mind

The amps that are used to achieve the sounds of those bands (or the majority of bands for that matter) are very much more expensive than your spyder and vast overkill for the maturity of your guitar playing life. Dual recifiers, Engls, Diezels, Bogners, Marshalls (real marshalls not toys like MGs and AVTs), etc etc etc

Even if you had one of those, you not match the tones youre after because they are recorded and mixed sounds. The sound right out of an amp is a very different thing to the sound of an amp through a mic into a mic pre into a desk and sitting in among 50 other things in a mix and coming out of your little (compared to a 4x12) hifi speakers.

Great advice...just add peavey to the list of amps
As it's been said above, a quality amp is really what you should be saving for.

That said, some excellent distortion pedals are: Modtone Extreme Metal, Dual Resistifier, Wampler Triple Wreck, Digitech HardWire TL-2.
Quote by D Man

Excellent advice right here. I started like most people with a little practice amp. THen i went to a Spider III 2 212 and used that for a while. I did some gigs with it but was still searching for a better tone. Now i use an all tube Traynor that i love. But i'm still not 100% set on my tone. Finding YOUR tone is key and it can take years to do. Just keep playing and trying as many amps as you can. The most you play the more you will start to understand what it is your looking for in an amp.

Of coarse if you just want to mimic the sound of the bands you love most you could spend thousands on their set ups, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you have money to blow. I always say try and find your own tone based on what you enjoy.
those bands have used(or still using) a Mesa Rectifer.

so do this.
1) Save up
2) git a clean amp (a champ 600 if you're just a bedroom player)
3) buy a wampler Triple Wreck or an AMT R1

and also save up for a new guitar if you can
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thanks for the heads up guys!

I brought my line 6 off a friend of mine for very little money (about £15) and at that time, i had a starter amp that comes with a £40 box set XD so you can see why i jumped at that offer.

and about the amps, ive noticed that alot of bands i like use, (if im right) Marshall amps, is this the make of amp i really need to get?

and also, in reply to the effects bit, i know i could never sound anything like them, it would take me too much time, money, and effort to sound anything like them, but, i was trying to get at that i want to aim for something that sounds like them, i really want to form somekind of band, that plays anything on the lines of those, so i thought if i could get the rough idea of what they use, the rest would follow

so, what amp could i get?

thanks for all your replies guys