On my Stratocaster, which previously had .009s in E standard, the play-ability of it has transformed from good enough to play some riffs to easy enough to effortlessly shred upon - just by using .008s instead of .009s. In fact, it may actually play better than my other guitar (although the upper fret access makes up for that).

I was wondering, would .008s work in D standard? My theory is, that with a Floyd Rose the tension would be the same no matter what because otherwise the bridge wouldn't be straight - Am I correct? If not, could someone kindly explain my stupidity to me, thanks.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I can shred damn fine on .011 or .012

But probably, I dunno.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Well, it would work, but it would still be slacker. The thing is, you'r setting the trem up for an 8 guage, not a 9 guage, so the springs in the back are going to be at a different tension. If 8 guage strings were at the same tension of 9 guage ones, basically, the note would be a lot higher, and there's kinda no escaping that, unless you have a different scale length or whatever.

So yeah, it'll still be slack.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Slicer666
I can shred damn fine on .011 or .012

But probably, I dunno.

Sure, but its easier with thinner strings for most people, Isn't it?

EDIT: Lil Macker, would it buzz or anything? I'm fine with it being incredibly slack

It's more a preference thing. I'd prefer to play on my 11s and 12s any day, because I like the tension and minimal string movement, but some people like lighter strings under their fingers.

I'd much rather opt for the strings with a more pleasing tone and adapt my technique to that, which is what I did with my higher gauge sets.
If you tune down there is less tension in the strings so your Floyd will pull back into the body... so to match it and make you bridge the way it should be you need to balance the tensions in the strings and the springs.... in this case you would need to slacken the springs....

Sorry if that made no sense.... tired.... very tired lol
[
Quote by metallicafan616
Sure, but its easier with thinner strings for most people, Isn't it?

EDIT: Lil Macker, would it buzz or anything? I'm fine with it being incredibly slack

Actually, come to think about it, it will. But it probably won't come through the amp though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
So it should work but might not sound too good? worth a shot I guess then

PS, Juckfush your prog piece sounds like it would fit in with Dream Theaters SFAM perfectly

You'll have next to no tuning stability, the bridge will be really unstable with such low tension.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That and generally thicker strings improve your tone.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by metallicafan616
So it should work but might not sound too good? worth a shot I guess then

PS, Juckfush your prog piece sounds like it would fit in with Dream Theaters SFAM perfectly

It can work, but as has been said, the tuning stability won't be the greatest, which will mean for some very slack, floppy strings - which can suck a lot out of your tone and note clarity overall.
If you're tuning to D standard, a set of 10s would be the minimum I'd opt for, and your tension will be somewhat similar to 9s (or possibly 8s) in E standard. This would help balance out both parts of the problem here - stability and playability.

And cheers for listening and for the compliment, it's much appreciated!
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 8, 2010,
Floppy thin strings are not conducive to good metal. Maybe some blues of something if you really want to bend those notes... but not metal.

Be a man and get some thicker strings, work out those puny girl fingers