I've come across a few songs that I'd like to play but my hands just don't stretch that far. The World I Know being the latest installment of my problem.

I haven't had much luck searching for smaller scaled guitars and to be honest with you I'm not sure what scale my guitar is or how to find out what scale it is. (1 3/8" nut - 1st fret and 11 7/8" nut - 12th fret) Basically I need an education on scale/size and some guitars I can look. They seem to be over 2 g's or under 2 c's, but that is 3/4 scale guitars.

Thank you
D
Umm... What you seem to be describing is neck width as opposed to scale.

Scale length is the distance from the nut to the saddle of the guitar. A shorter scale length means that there is less space between each fret. The opposite is also true.

Which one are you looking for?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
To measure the scale of your guitar, you measure from the nut to 12th fret and multiply by 2. Most guitars these days have a scale length of 25.5 inches. 24.75 is fairly common with Gibson and even Epiphone, but can be expensive. Martin uses a 24.6 scale length on their smaller guitars, but also are very expensive. Many other manufactures don't even bother with shorter scale lengths because it would require using different jigs and forms for every different model which increases the cost to build them. Try looking for a parlour guitar as they often have shorter scale lengths.
Last edited by milagroso at Jan 8, 2010,
Just do what milagroso said to find out what scale length your guitar is. I might be wrong, but I think some Seagulls are actually under 25" for scale length. I know breedlove makes some shorter scale models that are around 20" or so. However, playing it on a guitar with a shorter scale might help, but I'm not sure enough if it can be drastic enough to make some stretches possible that are impossible on whatever scale length your guitar is.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Gibson and Epiphone traditionally make 24.75" scale guitars and, afaik, all of their guitars are of that size.

They aren't necessarily expensive, though; I have a DR-100 which only cost me $80. It's an Epiphone so it's not amazing, but for $80 it's really nice.
Quote by nobetu2
I've come across a few songs that I'd like to play but my hands just don't stretch that far. The World I Know being the latest installment of my problem.

I haven't had much luck searching for smaller scaled guitars and to be honest with you I'm not sure what scale my guitar is or how to find out what scale it is. (1 3/8" nut - 1st fret and 11 7/8" nut - 12th fret) Basically I need an education on scale/size and some guitars I can look. They seem to be over 2 g's or under 2 c's, but that is 3/4 scale guitars.

Thank you
D

With your nut to 12th measurement at 11 7/8ths that makes your scale length 23 3/4 inches.

Not confident you would find much that is shorter than that scale length wise.

Are you quite a small person (not wanting to be rude). Could the way you hold your guitar, be stopping you form reaching where you want to be?

I should think a 3/4 sized guitar may be better for you if that is the case.

They seem to be over 2 g's or under 2 c's, but that is 3/4 scale guitars.

WTF does that mean?

SkeetEdit: Just looked at your profile...you are not a small person

So is the problem with regards to stretching your fingers to reach multiple fret positions? Rather than reaching the first few comfortably?

If so, then you would want a narrower fingerboard. You will also need to do stretching exercises and maybe get a finger trainer for finger strength. They are like a wrist strengthener for your fingers, with individual springs for each finger.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by iforgot120
Over 2g's and under 2 c's = over 2000 and under 200, I think.

If it does...that's a stupid way of saying it
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!