Hey there,
Could anyone please tell me about the "Gain" control on my bass amp. Basically what it means and how it will affect my sound.

(I know the second part sounds stupid, but I use a borrowed amp at our band practice's and my own practice amp doesn't have a "gain" knob on it, only a "presense" one - is this the same thing?)

Cheers,
Josh
the gain knob boosts the volume of the signal coming into the amp. Presence boosts the highest frequencies allowing your bass to cut through more although too much will make your bass sound harsh and nasty.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Gain is the signal before the preamp. Turning it up will generally tighten your sound a bit. Too much can be bad for your power amp though. you should know when you have too much because your tone will suffer because your signal is clipping.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
^I like that sound

it's why I've decided to go toobage preamp on my next amp, that'll take the clipping a little better, without sounding like the full tube amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
generally gain is the input lvl before the signal hits the power amp. some amps have gain boosts at different stages of the signal such as pre eq post eq ect.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Gain is about voltages. Your bass puts out a few thousandths of a volt and a 100W amp puts out 27V into 8ohms. The output divided by the input is the gain if the volume is turned up full.

Different instruments give out different voltages so need different gains. You can compensate for this with the volume control but the high gain can overload the parts of the amp before the volume control (the pre amp) It will also amplify all the buzzes and noise you don't want and so some amps give you a gain control to optimise sound.

The best sound is gained (sic) by setting the gain control so you can just get maximum output with the volume up full and then using the volume control to set the lower volume you want to play at.
Quote by Phil Starr
Gain is about voltages. Your bass puts out a few thousandths of a volt and a 100W amp puts out 27V into 8ohms. The output divided by the input is the gain if the volume is turned up full.

Different instruments give out different voltages so need different gains. You can compensate for this with the volume control but the high gain can overload the parts of the amp before the volume control (the pre amp) It will also amplify all the buzzes and noise you don't want and so some amps give you a gain control to optimise sound.

The best sound is gained (sic) by setting the gain control so you can just get maximum output with the volume up full and then using the volume control to set the lower volume you want to play at.

Thanks for this. Really comprehensive and easy enough to understand. Just what I was looking for
Quote by Phil Starr

Oh I see I'm not the only one into physics Really complete, simple walkthrough. I think THIS sould be included in the FAQ. I doubt that I would have said it better. Props for you.
master and volume are generally the same thing as long as it is a single channel amp. if an amp has multiple channels it may have separate volume knobs for each channel so you can get the correct balance between the two(or more) channels and then the master volume is used to get you're overall volume.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu