I want to incorporate ideas from other guitar players in my soloing/improvs.

To go about achieving this, should I learn their songs/licks?
Find out who influenced them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Find out who influenced them.

No offense, but I don't see how this would help. Steve Vai was influenced by Allan Holdsworth, but no way in hell does he sound like Allan Holdsworth

Quote by Timothongz
No offense, but I don't see how this would help. Steve Vai was influenced by Allan Holdsworth, but no way in hell does he sound like Allan Holdsworth

? to me seem a pretty good advice, you play the same things they played, learning the same licks you will develop similar chops.
Add this to play the stuff from the player you wish to incorporate in your style and you're done. seem pretty logical.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Quote by Timothongz
I want to incorporate ideas from other guitar players in my soloing/improvs. To go about achieving this, should I learn their songs/licks?

You wouldn't absolutely have to learn their music. Just listening to it would influence you to a point. Then maybe you could pinpoint what exactly you want to incorporate from their styles and learn from that.

There's no shortcuts really.
To have incorporated someone's style into your own would mean people say to you; "hey, you sound kinda like artist x!".
Learn their licks. And I mean really learn them, not just how to play them, but be able to incorporate them into your improvs where artist x would as well.
And learn their songs(this will learn you where to put those licks).

To learn licks from those by who influenced artist x can be incredibly ineffective. For example, learning a Malmsteen lick(he influenced Paul Gilbert) will make you sound like Malmsteen, whereas learning a lick Gilbert uses a lot, you will sound like Gilbert.

It can be incredibly fun to see who artist x got ideas from, and I recommend it, but to sound like artist x, you've got to play stuff by artist x.
If you want to actually understand an artist you need to get under their skin, find out what makes them tick...and the best way to do that is to look at what inspired them in the first place. Look at the stuff that they were listening to and learning whilst their own style was developing - that's what shaped their playing into what it is today.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Timothongz
I want to incorporate ideas from other guitar players in my soloing/improvs.

To go about achieving this, should I learn their songs/licks?

Yes
shred is gaudy music