Page 1 of 2
I'm under the assumption that B.C means Before Christ and A.D means After Death.

Are our years based on religion?

What about the religions that have totally different beliefs to that of Jesus? Atheists, Muslims, Jews etc.

Why are we going by this one timeline from this one religion?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
AD = Anno Domini.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Because to change now would be stupid, we're pretty used to this BC/AD thing.
-

It's 5770 on the Hebrew calendar btw.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Do they still say they are in 2009 in China because Chinese new year isn't until Jan 26th
Its not called B.C. anymore, since that's not politically correct. Its B.C.E. (Before Current Era).

But lots of people already said that.

And are you really suggesting that we all go by a different calender based on Religion? I mean, there's sensitivity, and then there's stupidity.

I'm in the year 22 right now. My Calender began on July 21, 1987...the day that Appetite for Destruction was released.

See? That's dumb....wait....no...that's awesome.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Jackal58
It's 5770 on the Hebrew calendar btw.

I live in the FUTURE?!?!?! Awesome! Where's my flying car, my autmatically drying clothes, my sex slave automaton robot android women?

The future bites.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
Because Christians are a bit forcing about their habits sometimes...
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Quote by JackalUK
Do they still say they are in 2009 in China because Chinese new year isn't until Jan 26th

Chinese, or lLunar new year, is based on a different calendar. So, no they don't still say 2009 in China. The lunar year is in the 4600s or 4700s depending on which calendar you go by.

As for the BC/AD thing, it's just convention. Christian nations were the ones to expand and colonize and rise to power, so everyone else just followed suit.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
The Arab world includes both Christian and Hijra dates in public broadcasts and schooling.

edit: Also, Christianity is the biggest organized religion in the world, so it makes sense that it would be the most common form used.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by CheezMeUp
Because Christians are a bit forcing about their habits sometimes...

And nobody else throws their religion around like a 12 inch dick...
I'm not sure how changing the name makes it any better, as the divide is still based around the birth of Mr. Christ.

I don't mind it though. If they changed the system I'd mess up every date I wrote for the next two months.
The origin of the terminology is irrelavent. Standardisation of the measurement of time is important and is arguably a very good thing.
Quote by FrankieHCO

I live in the FUTURE?!?!?! Awesome! Where's my flying car, my autmatically drying clothes, my sex slave automaton robot android women?

The future bites.

Great Scott!!!
Quote by dhutton
while this is true, Anno Domini is latin for: in the year of our lord. so TS's point still stands.

Never said which lord.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by dhutton
while this is true, Anno Domini is latin for: in the year of our lord. so TS's point still stands.

It still has nothing to do with his death though.
it's this way because Christianity had the biggest influence on europe, which has had the biggest influence on the rest of the world.

Changing it now would be far too much work.

so yes, it's based on religion, but it doesn't really matter much.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by JackalUK

Yeah, because it's all to do with business and trading and stuff like that. But I suppose they keep as the old one too. So they're living in the future and the present at the same time.

And I suppose changing it now would be a bit silly. It would mess some things up a lot.

EDIT:

Quote by JackalUK

Exactly... It's when he was born, wasn't it?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by dhutton

???
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
???

I think he means that TS's point about dates being based on religion still stands.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
This is addressed to the whole world.

We're starting at year 0 again, starting tomorrow.

End of discussion.
Because if someone asked you the year and you said 5770 then you'd look like a retard. That's why.
Quote by osXtiger
Never said which lord.

well it was started by the christians so i'm assuming theirs.

Quote by JackalUK

it has more to do with his birth.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
I think he means that TS's point about dates being based on religion still stands.

exactly
Because Christianity is better and much more important.

I kid. Its probably just the christian God got to look after the year and dates, maybe the other God's got other special little responsibilities. I hear Buddha does the cooking for them all.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Last edited by notsojoeyb4eva at Jan 8, 2010,
It's the simplest way. If every religion or belief had a different calendar it would be ridiculous in a practical sense.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
technically to be politically correct it's BCE- Before Common Era, so actually it's not religious at all (except that common era was based on the year Jesus was born), and Christianity is the world's largest religion. 2 billion people practice it.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by Jackal58
AD = Anno Domini.

Exactly. If it was after death there and before christ there would be a 32 year period during his life that would be unlabeled.
its B.C. and based around the life of the greatest person to ever live, Jesus...

Quote by Minkaro
I'm not sure how changing the name makes it any better, as the divide is still based around the birth of Mr. Christ.

as it should be...

Quote by JackalUK

but his birth is pretty important though...

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Because Christianity is better and much more important.

I kid. Its probably just the christian God got to look after the year and dates, maybe the other God's got other special little responsibilities. I hear Buddha does the cooking for them all.

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by lespaul1216
technically to be politically correct it's BCE- Before Common Era, so actually it's not religious at all (except that common era was based on the year Jesus was born), and Christianity is the world's largest religion. 2 billion people practice it.

It's the largest, but the amount of other religions combined out weight it, so it's pretty stupid to base it off one so called "Prophet", especially when other religions believe he is only a man or not the greatest prophet.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm under the assumption that B.C means Before Christ and A.D means After Death.

Are our years based on religion?

What about the religions that have totally different beliefs to that of Jesus? Atheists, Muslims, Jews etc.

Why are we going by this one timeline from this one religion?

AD means Anno Domini, which is "in the year of our lord" in latin.
Athiesm is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Also, because we can't be ****ed to reset our mental calenders.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
It would be ridiculous to change it now. Besides, we have B.C.E. and C.E for anyone that's offended by the Christian significance of it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Page 1 of 2