I play a lot of metal and I was wondering how every decent metal band gets that really tight bottom end? Most of the tips I've heard are using a tubescreamer (or another OD pedal) to beef up the sound before it gets to my amp.

But I don't have a Tubescreamer (and won't be buying one for quite a while now) so I'm wondering if there is any way tighten the bottom end by just using my Amp's EQ?

Thanks in advance.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
The low mids are the ones which really fattens your sound, not even the bass frequencies. I'd get an EQ pedal and boost those.

In my opinion, the Spider Valve you have doesn't sound too great and it's probably its fault, but that's just me.
Quote by DarkValo666
The low mids are the ones which really fattens your sound, not even the bass frequencies. I'd get an EQ pedal and boost those.

In my opinion, the Spider Valve you have doesn't sound too great and it's probably its fault, but that's just me.

Compared to all the other amps I tried (including some mid-range Marshalls and Peaveys) this was the best one. And it has a great metal tone, other than the bottom end. I play in standard or Eb standard most of the time anyway so the tight bottom end isn't completely essential.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Compared to all the other amps I tried (including some mid-range Marshalls and Peaveys) this was the best one. And it has a great metal tone, other than the bottom end. I play in standard or Eb standard most of the time anyway so the tight bottom end isn't completely essential.

If adding mids to your amps EQ doesn't fix your problem...i'd look into a used TS7 and/or a danelectro fish n chips EQ pedal. Both are great budget pedals.

EDIT: tube V
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 8, 2010,
Squats, lunges, and lots of running.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by eyebanez333
If adding mids to your amps EQ doesn't fix your problem...i'd look into a used TS7 and/or a danelectro fish n chips EQ pedal. Both are great budget pedals.

Yeah adding mids isn't doing a whole hell of a lot. Maybe after work I'll just sit down and really mess with the EQ for a while and figure it out.

I'm getting a TS9DX in the relatively near future anyway, so I guess I won't be too heartbroken if I can't dial in a nice bottom end.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by eyebanez333

EDIT: tube V

+1
I would get these pedals. You could get a Digitech bad monkey, a cheaper alternative OD but its worth getting a TS imo, also a fish & chips Eq aswell.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Alright, well can I tighten the bottom end with just an EQ pedal? Because I'd rather not buy both pedals if I can do the job with one.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Alright, well can I tighten the bottom end with just an EQ pedal? Because I'd rather not buy both pedals if I can do the job with one.

Yeah it should do the trick, basically you'll be able to modify your tone in any way. For example, boost mids/lows etc. I'm getting one myself for my valveking soon. Probably the danelectro fish & chips, even though I was planning on getting the mxr 10 band but its quite expensive.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by drewfromutah
Thinking about buying a Fish and Chips also. Does it suck tone at all?

I haven't heard that it does, it may be abit noisy though, not sure.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
I haven't heard that it does, it may be abit noisy though, not sure.

I read that it can get noisy when you're using an adaptor with it. But batter power it's quiet.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
I read that it can get noisy when you're using an adaptor with it. But batter power it's quiet.

This is true with most pedals. Although the noise from a power adapter is usually negligible. I personally have the MXR 10-band in my loop...love it. But the Dano is a great pedal too...I couldn't believe it when I played it. They go pretty cheap new...but used its just ridiculous.
im not sure but i'm pretty sure the spider valve has a boost function (read the instruction manual). you have to hold down a few buttons but it gives you an OD boost which should help tighten things up for you!

here it is copied from the manual on their website:

Distortion Boost
Press and hold the Tap button as you turn the Drive knob up past twelve o’clock. As you do this, Spider Valve’s Channel A LED comes on. This gives the kind of extra ‘dirt’ that you’d expect from a Distortion pedal with the distortion control set low and the output control set high. It boosts your guitar signal before it reaches the Amp Model, so that you hit the model harder and get a more distorted sound. Enabling this is the same as kicking on Stomp on the FBV Shortboard.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 8, 2010,
Add mids and highs, remove lows.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Basically have enough bass so its not tiny, but not too much flabby. Keep at least some mids, but you don 't need to set it to like 8 or anything.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by DarkValo666

In my opinion, the sky is orange polka dot and made out of silk.

In actuality, the sky is blue and the Spider Valve is a very nice sounding amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
im not sure but i'm pretty sure the spider valve has a boost function (read the instruction manual). you have to hold down a few buttons but it gives you an OD boost which should help tighten things up for you!

Thanks a bunch! When I read that in the manual I never noticed that it operated BEFORE the amp model, thus creating a preamp boost. That worked pretty well.

Basically, I engaged that Boost function, cut the bass a little below 12 o' Clock, Mids at like 3 o' Clock, Highs at 4 o'clock and I'm pretty close to the tone I'm looking for. The bottom end is definitely much tighter. Actually, I raised my presence a bit and that, for some reason, seems to have helped.

One day I'll invest in an equalizer and/or a TS9 and really get that perfect metal tone, but this is definitely good enough to last me for a while.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Thanks a bunch! When I read that in the manual I never noticed that it operated BEFORE the amp model, thus creating a preamp boost. That worked pretty well.

Basically, I engaged that Boost function, cut the bass a little below 12 o' Clock, Mids at like 3 o' Clock, Highs at 4 o'clock and I'm pretty close to the tone I'm looking for. The bottom end is definitely much tighter. Actually, I raised my presence a bit and that, for some reason, seems to have helped.

One day I'll invest in an equalizer and/or a TS9 and really get that perfect metal tone, but this is definitely good enough to last me for a while.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!

glad that your liking your tone better :-)
Quote by tubetime86
Squats, lunges, and lots of running.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees