Hi all, I was hoping if you could give me some objective advice.

I'm applying to universities in the UK, but I really can't decide on my last choice. Most of my choices were influenced by the fact that my girlfriend will be attending university in Leeds or Bradford, so all of my choices are from that area. I can't decide on my last choice though, it's a tie between universities of Aberdeen and Lancaster. I am not certain at all if I can get into the other four, but I think I have an excellent chance in Aberdeen.

The problem is that Aberdeen has the course I used to want to do (History & International relations), but not much anymore. It's also extremely far from Leeds and regular travel between these two points will be almost impossible on a student budget. But as I said, I have an extremely good chance of being accepted there.

Lancaster on the other hand gives me no guarantee at all. It has the course I want to do (Law) and I qualify when requirements taken into account, but I don't know. I can't be too confident about any choices I made, so Aberdeen seems like a good plan E, but I'd only go there if I'm not accepted elsewhere.

TL;DR: Need to pick one university out of two: One I will almost certainly get into, but do course I don't find ideal and it will be so far from my long time girlfriend, that it will endanger my relationship. The other gives no guarantee and it's a bit of a gamble, even though I want to go there.

Thanks, guys.
Last edited by zwound at Jan 8, 2010,
Your girlfriend is going to get nailed by many men at university, don't let her decide your future.
Wow, Aberdeen seems too far for me, and I actually live in scotland. I think that if you don't really want to do the course, there's no point in applying there. Even if it's the only one you get into, you could just go there and hate the course.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Coin flip

Edit: Actually I like the first reply best.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Put yourself first. I'm at uni and a lot of people who go into uni with a girlfriend breakup with them quite early on, for various reasons. If you do break up at some point, do you want to spend 2 years in a place you don't like?
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Your girlfriend is going to get nailed by many men at university, don't let her decide your future.

Nah, don't think so. We're practically engaged and been together for 4.5 years now.
I live in Aberdeen, don't move here

EDIT: but seriously, Aberdeen isn't a bad city to live in and as far as I know the uni is considered pretty good
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Last edited by Bendybaws at Jan 8, 2010,
Not to be harsh, but don't base your university decision on what university your girlfriend goes to.
In my year only two of the long term (1 year or longer) relationships lasted. In one of those the two people went to universities on the opposite end of the country, Seriously, most "High School relationships" end by the end of first semester. The same thing happened with freshers this year.
Maybe ye'll be one of the lucky ones, but the odds are stacked firmly against you. Make sure that if you do break up you're where you want to be.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by King85
Coin flip

Dice roll.

russian roulette, etc. sorry, i'm of no help. not familiar with those places...nor am I
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not to be harsh, but don't base your university decision on what university your girlfriend goes to.
In my year only two of the long term (1 year or longer) relationships lasted. In one of those the two people went to universities on the opposite end of the country, Seriously, most "High School relationships" end by the end of first semester. The same thing happened with freshers this year.
Maybe ye'll be one of the lucky ones, but the odds are stacked firmly against you. Make sure that if you do break up you're where you want to be.

Hey, mate, thanks for the reply, as I respect your opinion a great deal around here. We've already had a long distance relationship for the past 3 years. My number one choice would be Huddersfield, which is only like a 30 minute train ride away. I don't think we will break up and even if we do, it doesn't really matter much to me where I go, because there's way too many choices out there and the Leeds area is a good starting point given.
Quote by Bendybaws
I live in Aberdeen, don't move here

EDIT: but seriously, Aberdeen isn't a bad city to live in and as far as I know the uni is considered pretty good

Thanks for the reply. Hows the employment over there? Some lecturer from Aberdeen uni came here to talk about the university and he said that there's more jobs there than demand for jobs. Left me a bit skeptical, as most universities seem to say this right now and I don't think it's true.
Quote by zwound
Thanks for the reply. Hows the employment over there? Some lecturer from Aberdeen uni came here to talk about the university and he said that there's more jobs there than demand for jobs. Left me a bit skeptical, as most universities seem to say this right now and I don't think it's true.

Yeah, they'll say anything to get your uni fees. To be honest I'm not sure about part time jobs but we are quite sheltered from the economic downturn because of the massive oil and gas industry Aberdeen has. I'd be guessing but I'd say things seem a bit better here than elsewhere in the UK, based on none of my friends have been made redundant but then most do work for oil companies.
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by zwound
Nah, don't think so. We're practically engaged and been together for 4.5 years now.

then good luck with your suicide.

nah im shure itll be fine
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
i lived in aberdeen before i went to uni in glasgow this year

a lot of my mates are doing history and international relations there i think
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
You gonna marry her?

No seriously. This is one of those things that determine the rest of your life. And if you waste your decision based on a girlfriend, then it better be a permanent one, that your heart can FULLY back.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
You gonna marry her?

No seriously. This is one of those things that determine the rest of your life. And if you waste your decision based on a girlfriend, then it better be a permanent one, that your heart can FULLY back.

That's how we've planned it. The only reason we're not 'married' is because it would be weird to refer to someone 18 as 'wife'.

However, this got me thinking. I'm an (sometimes unreasonably) insecure person and it got me thinking what if something goes wrong. Not that it should, but there's a possibility to everything, eh.
Quote by zwound
Hi all, I was hoping if you could give me some objective advice.

I'm applying to universities in the UK, but I really can't decide on my last choice. Most of my choices were influenced by the fact that my girlfriend will be attending university in Leeds or Bradford, so all of my choices are from that area. I can't decide on my last choice though, it's a tie between universities of Aberdeen and Lancaster. I am not certain at all if I can get into the other four, but I think I have an excellent chance in Aberdeen.

The problem is that Aberdeen has the course I used to want to do (History & International relations), but not much anymore. It's also extremely far from Leeds and regular travel between these two points will be almost impossible on a student budget. But as I said, I have an extremely good chance of being accepted there.

Lancaster on the other hand gives me no guarantee at all. It has the course I want to do (Law) and I qualify when requirements taken into account, but I don't know. I can't be too confident about any choices I made, so Aberdeen seems like a good plan E, but I'd only go there if I'm not accepted elsewhere.

TL;DR: Need to pick one university out of two: One I will almost certainly get into, but do course I don't find ideal and it will be so far from my long time girlfriend, that it will endanger my relationship. The other gives no guarantee and it's a bit of a gamble, even though I want to go there.

Thanks, guys.

put Lancaster as your first choice, and Aberdeen second? think that means if you dont get into Lancaster you'll get into Aberdeen no worries without going through clearing, but I can't be sure, be best to speak to a person where your studying for better information

pretty sure if you get the requirements for both your choices you get into the first, if you only get the requirements for your second you get that place.

hope it helped
Quote by zwound
However, this got me thinking. I'm an (sometimes unreasonably) insecure person and it got me thinking what if something goes wrong. Not that it should, but there's a possibility to everything, eh.

I do apologise if I sounded a bit harsh earlier, but if you feel a bit insecure this is going to royally screw your mind up.
Quote by Dolan92
put Lancaster as your first choice, and Aberdeen second? think that means if you dont get into Lancaster you'll get into Aberdeen no worries without going through clearing, but I can't be sure, be best to speak to a person where your studying for better information

pretty sure if you get the requirements for both your choices you get into the first, if you only get the requirements for your second you get that place.

hope it helped

Mate, I can only pick one. That's the problem.

Quote by Rikki DeMartini
I do apologise if I sounded a bit harsh earlier, but if you feel a bit insecure this is going to royally screw your mind up.

No worries, man. It did screw with my mind, but I think I'm back on rails now
Last edited by zwound at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by zwound
Mate, I can only pick one. That's the problem.

really? sure you choose 2 on ucas? I know i've been told i can choose 2
Well I'm currently at Aberdeen doing physics, it's sound like - it's not that hard to get too, train/plane it if you want. History and IR is fairly popular, also you'd be able to do another degree option for your first year as well

jobs wise the (few) people I know looking for jobs have found them, decent number of supermarkets and town center has a decent amount of shops
Quote by Dolan92
really? sure you choose 2 on ucas? I know i've been told i can choose 2

I can pick five. I already have four picked and for the last slot I've got two nominees.
Quote by zwound
I can pick five. I already have four picked and for the last slot I've got two nominees.

oh right, I was on about when you get your offers through, sorry
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Why arnt you applying for law at Aberdeen if it's the course you want to do?

Oh, I would, but I'm not exactly a pristine student and I heard the competition is very tight for law there. I don't feel confident that I would outclass other applicants as there's probably people who took high school seriously and have maximum points in everything.

I feel it might be a waste of a bullet.
2A's 2B's at higher to get into aberdeen for law i think

dunno what that is in english terms but probably less, aberdeen is best in scotland for law
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
go to the university you want to go to.

this whole girlfriend thing is difficult, it is. but really, you're 18. i know you've been together and been doing the long distance thing, but you will change when you go to university. you might not think you will, but i promise you, things do change a lot. that doesn't mean you will break up, but the past solidity of your relationship really doesn't mean a whole lot once you get to university and meet different people and are exposed to a different lifestyle.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini

don't worry bro, loads of dudes are banging her already