Hi there, I have been reading posts by owners of the Peavey Classic 30, and quite a number recommend switching the stock Blue Marvel speaker with something else (Celestion, for example) There's a couple of interesting Youtube posts that offer demonstrations with of a number of different speakers. From the way I see, the primary problem with their test, is that they are using a tuned port closed cabinet forthe test. A combo cabinet with its open back, is going to produce a completely different sound. Has anyone out there swapped out the Blue Marvel, for say, a Celestion G12H 30 70th Anniversary, or a Celestion Gold Alnico?

Second question: what sort of results or improvments would I see if I was to hook up a EQ pedal (i.e., Boss), particularly for use on the "2nd"channel?
Thanks.
I own a peavey valveking (openback - close enough to the classic 30 ?) and the speakers peavey use (specifically in the VK) are horribly muddy. Once I replaced the speaker with a Celestion V30 it was like owning a different amp.
If I had the cash I would rather have put in the Alnico Gold (Best guitar speaker money can buy) but it's almost 3x the price of the V30.

I can't comment on the second question though.
Hope this helps a bit.
^ The alnico gold might not be a good choice for the VK though, depending on what styles you play.

It would, however, be absolutely perfect for a 1x12 Classic 30 combo. EL84s and Alnico blues = teh secks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yes, your replies were great, and aside from my own investigations I base a lot of what I do on other's experiences, particularly with things that I know little about! So you wetre really happy with the V30, thats great, I have heard great things about it.

Regards.
it would be the classic 'speakers are better than the amp' deal, would def be an upgrade though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
a very wise statement by Mr. Einstein, and apply quoted on a site such as this, as innocuous as it is.