Hi, i'm doing this thread on behalf of my mate who has pretty sucky internet and i owed him a favour so i thought i'd do this.

Essentially he's looking for a new guitar and amp. Currently he has a Fender 60s Reissue Strat and a Marshall MG50, and is wanting to sell them to then add to his around £1000 budget. He plays stuff from Hendrix to Van Halen and Clapton nothing thats really metal. he doesn't really want another strat or something with JUST single coils. he also isn't willing to go used.

any advice is always appreciated, cheers
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Jackson Dinky (HSS) - 650 pounds, Orange Rocker 30 - 850 pounds or Orange Rocker 50 - 1360 pounds. This is one route or:

Upgrade the strat pickups and install a stacked humbucker in the bridge position then you have an HSS configuration. If I could I would buy something like a Blackstar Artisan 30 - 1300 pounds. Awesome amp from what I've heard.

Hope this helps.
does he need mostly marshally amp tones? is he gigging? when you say, "not another strat with singles", is he willing to go with a superstrat?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
he wants something different to his strat, so i think superstrat would be ok but he doesn't like very thin necks.

dont think he'll be gigging, but even if he did it wouldn't be a very big gig. i'm not sure if he requires marshally tones, but he hates his MG and doesn't like Mesa tones. he wants something with tubes/valves, and generally just suggestions to go and try out
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
ok, thanks. I like this: http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

plus the powerscaling means it's good for bedroom. It's going to be hard to try out (unless he tried the marshall 1974x reissue, which presumably is similar). And he's going to need to like marshally/british tones.

he'd need a cab, too.

if he needs more versatility, he'd have a lot more options, as he has a fairly decent budget- things like the laney tt, marshall jvm, etc. etc.

i reckon HSS superstrat is probably the way to go (not necessarily fender), because hendrix used a strat, mainly, and VH used a superstrat. Plus clapton's newer tones are strat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the help so far but what i also forgot to say was that he's wanting a combo, its just easier for him overall, he was wondering about the Marshall Vintage Modern??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
i didn't really like the vm i tried. i also thought it sounded terrible unless really cranked up (which wouldn't be much use if he's mainly playing at home). Up to him, of course, but those are my thoughts on the matter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?