I may be selling my Soldano SM-100R (basically, a rackmount SLO power section) because I bought it from a friend when he needed money and said I'd sell it back to him when he got back on his feet. Looks like he's going to buy it back, and they're rare so finding another one is really tricky. So I probably need an alternative. Specs:

- all-tube power amp
- rackmount (4 spaces or less)
- mono (this seems to be the sticking point - I don't want to haul around an unused amp side)
- 90 watts plus
- big bottle tubes (6L6, el34, 6550/KT88 or their variants)
- big transformers

i can't seem to find anyone other than Soldano who has ever built an amp with those specs, which is bizarre because they seem pretty mainline. Anyone know of one, or someone who does custom rack power amps or offers a kit perhaps? I realize if I'm willing to go stereo I've got a lot more options.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jan 8, 2010,
A power amp? Like for a PA system? They typically aint tube, since the tone coloring isent really wanted with power amps. And 90 watts? Are you like using this with your cab or something in place of a guitar amp or something?

I mean, if you give more information then I can prolly find you something better.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A power amp? Like for a PA system? They typically aint tube, since the tone coloring isent really wanted with power amps. And 90 watts? Are you like using this with your cab or something in place of a guitar amp or something?

I mean, if you give more information then I can prolly find you something better.

No no no. A guitar amp is basically two parts. The pre-amp and the power amp. A fair few manufacturers also sell these parts of some of their amps (and sometimes pre/power amps they don't offer in any complete models) seperatley to allow for more customisation.
Say you want the preamp of a 5150 and the poweramp of an ENGL, etc, etc.
Yeah, Marshall, Mesa, Engl, etc all make tube power amps that are to be used with a separate preamp. They can be fed into a PA system that yes, are usually solid state. The TS needs something specific that may be harder to find.
Ah, I see. Why don't you just custom build it then?The parts and even kits are widely available to build whatever kind of amp you want, you can rebuild your amp exactly if you get the blue prints for it, and would prolly cost you less than the amp itself, and you could make it better. But you'll have to get damn good at soldering and reading all that circuitry mumbo jumbo.