I'm getting a band together with some folks and all of us are still fairly inexperienced at the band thing. My question is, when we're starting out, how much material should we have before trying to get our first live gigs? 30 minutes worth? 20? 40?

We're in San Francisco and we play indie rock if this provides any necessary frame of reference. Most likely we'd be doing some opening slot in some random club in SF.
I'd say at least 30 minutes, 20 minutes is just too short, even for an opening slot.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I'd say about 45 minutes worth. That's how long most of the local bands I've seen play (usually because there's another two, three or more bands on the bill) but if you're playing on your own you'll need more than that.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Best to have more material ready than what you will need, that way you can mix it up and keep the act fresh. But I would say about 20 - 30 mins
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Metalology
I'd say about 45 minutes worth. That's how long most of the local bands I've seen play (usually because there's another two, three or more bands on the bill) but if you're playing on your own you'll need more than that.

What he said.

It all depends on the gig...ever plan on getting a private party gig?

If so....you need 3 hours of material.

My band has played several private parties...and we always had our 10 to 12 maintsteam covers that all the people there would like. Its always smart to have those.

As far as club gigs go....45 minutes to an hour just to make sure.

[img]http://www.dv247.com/assets/news/dvguitars/paul-reed-smith-new-guitars.jpg[/img]
30 - 45. You can hopefully steadily add to your repertoire from there.
Quote by Mudmen190
60 minutes to appear your best.

he said he will be playing as an opening act .
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I also need to point out that we just barely formed and have not even played our first gig yet.
If you're expected to be onstage for 30 minutes, have 45 minutes worth of material. Running out of things to play is never a good situation.
A 45 min set is the best, 45 mins to kick ass and then backstage for the party.
Always have more material than you need, just in case of encores n stuff =]
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.