ok so i got an audition for a music acadamy place, i need an interview where i play a peice or two, which can be anything i like. So im looking for a metal song thats relatively difficult, but shows off talent. also it has to be in standard/ drop D tuning.
Originally i though i mite play BFMV song cus its pretty easy but theyre all in drop c, which is what i usually play. so any suggestions as to what song to play would be very helpful.
Quote by damo13
ok so i got an audition for a music acadamy place, i need an interview where i play a peice or two, which can be anything i like. So im looking for a metal song thats relatively difficult, but shows off talent. also it has to be in standard/ drop D tuning.
Originally i though i mite play BFMV song cus its pretty easy but theyre all in drop c, which is what i usually play. so any suggestions as to what song to play would be very helpful.

Play something classical on guitar, but make it metally, like vivaldi or bach stuff, or play hall of the mountain king, that relatively easy but sounds difficult, and if you want to keep it metal, play a dream theather song(if your that good)
you could just play a bullet song but in drop d instead? it will sound higher but still sound decent, unless your playing with a backing track.

crazy train is relatively hard
a long metallica song like one would be impressive
or avenged sevenfold perhaps?

i wouldnt go for anything too hard just make sure you know it well and play it with confidence.
ooohhh dream theatre!! thank you, i love john petrucci!!
Thanks for the idea of classical stuff, i got like 2 weeks to think of something, but il give that a go. THANK YOU!!!
Quote by damo13

Hopefully their admittance rules say nothing about proper use of punctuation and capitalization. Not to mention proper spelling.

Anyways, I second the Dream Theater suggestion. That should wow the judges enough, I guess.

Or if you really want to impress them with your vast and extensive knowledge of odd meter, Pain Of Salvation's "Idioglossia" should be a good one to attempt.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
You could easily blend classical with metal. Many of the father's of metal have also been founders of the neo-classical movement. Try learning Bach's Badinerie, and reference Yngwie Malmsteen's interpretation. Or maybe, though this would take much practice to play in a metal tone, La Catedral. That song showcases lots of technicality, ranging from economy, to sweep, to string skipping.

Badinerie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3afd80R4n0

La Catedral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YcrGUkdD1I&feature=related

While there is more to La Catedral, III is the most likely piece to translate to neo-classical metal. Hope that helps.
Last edited by SawGuru at Jan 8, 2010,
bullet and difficult?

Dream Theater
Racer X (technical difficulties is in E and the first 2 albums are 1 semistep down, but can be played in standard just fine, if you use a backingtrack you might wanna alter the pitch tho)
Van Halen (not that difficult either)
As previously named, adapt a classical piece (vivaldi's four seasons are pretty popular)
Symphony X
Rhapsody of Fire
Dragonforce (as much as some people might hate em, their songs aren't that easy to play)
Sylosis
Trivium (hell, it's harder than BFMV)

Without solos:
Lamb of God (later songs have solos)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Wintersun - Death and the Healing or Winter Madness.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield
you could just play a bullet song but in drop d instead? it will sound higher but still sound decent, unless your playing with a backing track.

crazy train is relatively hard
a long metallica song like one would be impressive
or avenged sevenfold perhaps?

i wouldnt go for anything too hard just make sure you know it well and play it with confidence.

None of this will impress a music college, I can guarantee.
Play something with an interesting musical structure. Powerchords and tremolo picking wont do much to impress someone used to piano playing.
Also, if you can, improvise a solo.

EDIT: Just to clarify before I sound like a dick, unless this college focuses on guitar playing specifically, the above is likely to be true.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jan 8, 2010,
I'm willing to bet the judges would be impressed with some Cynic.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I think you should do Shogun by by Trivium if you can.

It has a soulful, emotive jazz guitar solo in it, and a long arpeggiated clean section, as well as faster technical solos, so it should show off all ranges of your musical spectrum.
Quote by travislausch
I'm willing to bet the judges would be impressed with some Cynic.

Yep.

Even if you roll out one of their easier songs they'd be pretty well impressed.

Or some al di meola.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666

bullet and difficult?

Without solos:
Lamb of God (later songs have solos)

@ BfmV

And for the technical skills of LoG's guitarists, even the solos aren't /that/ difficult.
tocatta and fuge however its spelled, not that hard to play but it looks and sounds impressive
Quote by Jackamedmos
tocatta and fuge however its spelled, not that hard to play but it looks and sounds impressive

especially if it's yngwie's Version
if he's thinking BFMV, then i dunno. i doubt he's technically able to play some of the stuff suggested.
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Just play Fur Elise or something. I shudder to think that some crap like BFMV are considered 'music academy' material...
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by Gh057
@ BfmV

And for the technical skills of LoG's guitarists, even the solos aren't /that/ difficult.

Well it's certainly more difficult than BFMV

Real men play Dream Theater though.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Me being the huge Reb Beach fan, definetely try Black Magic, or if not, try the intro music from his instructional video Cutting Lose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qku9IA76f30

That one in particular has difficult alternate picking, tapping, tremolo use, etc. That should be enough to impress the judges, the song itself is not too difficult for you to learn and it sounds rather impressive.
Last edited by RBM01991 at Jan 8, 2010,
I vote... 3 Little Bird - Bob Marley

Joking... honestly tho..

Through the fire & flames
Quote by Jackamedmos

That's kind of the opposite of the right idea.
Something that's much easier than it looks might be fine for impressing your family, or classmates, or any non-musical folks you might happen to play in front of, but attempting to fool a professional musician with an easy piece is not a good idea.
Quote by Roc8995
That's kind of the opposite of the right idea.
Something that's much easier than it looks might be fine for impressing your family, or classmates, or any non-musical folks you might happen to play in front of, but attempting to fool a professional musician with an easy piece is not a good idea.

Too true.

If you wanna impress em, and have 2 weeks to learn, you best be spending lots of time on a difficult song

Or opt for an easier song, but don't think of trying to fool em into thinking it's hard cause they won't fall for it anyway.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Scarified By Racer X? It's not as hard as it sounds and is in Eb but can be played in Standard unless you're using a backing track.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay