Hey all, so i have been using a Line 6 212 combo amp for about a year. It was ok, i did some gigs with it and never got any complaints. I play in a cover band so the Line 6 was nice cause of all the different effects i had programmed in. My problem was cutting through the mix. The other guitarist had an all tube and a lot of the time i would get drowned out. Plus, i just always loved the sound from a tube amp.

Make a long story short, i picked up a Traynor customer special 50 watt. I love the thing. Very versatile for doing covers and when i throw a pedal infront of it i can get all the distortion i need.

My question is this: I've heard many ways to place pedals but i'm still a bit confused omn what the best way is and why. I got Seymour Duncan hotrails in my strat and when i crank the amp it screams, and not in a good way. I have a noise suppressor which works great for that. I got the boss chromatic tuner, boss DD7-delay and a metal zone. WIth this amp i don't even need the metal zone BUT for my own knowledge what would be the best way to set this up? (Guitar into what into what into amp)

Also, my amp, on the back has an FX pedal jack, do i plug into this? Or is that for something else?
tuner, noise suppressor, metal zone in front of the amp

delay -> FX loop
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Quote by DDOW
guitar-tuner-noise suppressor-delay-amp

No.

Guitar > Tuner > NS > Metal Zone (yuck) > Amp > Loop Send > Delay > Loop Return
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Edit: I'm dumb and misread. never dealt with ur amp srry...
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Last edited by chrisa123 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by DDOW
guitar-tuner-noise suppressor-delay-metal zone-amp

wtf do NOT use delay before distortion pedals. you get a very choppy brittle sound.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
No.

Yuck? the guys asking for advice... not your opinion on his gear

ahah other then that comment i'd say youre spot on though
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
Quote by Robertoodavid
Readig the thread i wondered - why should the delay be in the loop ?

If you put it before the amp you run the risk of getting distorted repeats. Putting it in the loop eliminates this problem because pedal and preamp distortion has already been applied to the signal.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Robertoodavid
Readig the thread i wondered - why should the delay be in the loop ?

Because it's a modulation effect and you don't want it running before the signal gets sent to the amp, you want it after. That's what an FX Loop does.
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
No.

So what is the difference with the loop send thing? I assume the noise suppressor won't suppressor the delay this way?

And i know the metal zone isnt the greatest pedal, i got it a couple years ago and i just mainly mess around with it. I wouldn't use it to play live, especially with my amp now. This amp is very versatile and puts out all the distortion i need for covers.

EDIT:
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If you put it before the amp you run the risk of getting distorted repeats. Putting it in the loop eliminates this problem because pedal and preamp distortion has already been applied to the signal.
\

Yea so while i was writing my above question you posted this info, which answered my question. Makes sense, thanks.

And again, my metal zone is great for those heavy metal palm mutes and gives me a thrashy sound. If i lay off the distortion and roll it back to 1 or 2 and crank it i can get a pretty creamy sound out of it though. It's pretty versatile considering it has "metal" in the name. I have gotten decent rock tones out of the thing. I like it, but again with my current amp i really dont need it.
Last edited by Powerslave1724 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
What do you do if your amp doesn't have an FX loop?

Then you will be cast into the gorge of eternal Peril ... !
^^ In that case, you don't use modulation effects unless you're using a clean sound, or you run a clean amp, use pedals for distortion and put them before the modulation effect.

I don't have a loop either, since my amp was made before they existed. However, the idea is for me to get a second power amp eventually and use the DI from the attenuator to run a wet cab with the modulation effects (reverb, delay, phaser) in between my 800 and the power amp. Chorus will go in front of a second clean amp for A/B.

Alright i got my answers, thanks everyone for the info i'm going to mess around when i get home and see how it all sounds.
I have no idea why everyone wants to run tuners and noise supressors first in the chain.

I always go guitar-modulation-overdrive/distortion/fuzz-delay-reverb-tuner-noisesupressor-amp.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
I have no idea why everyone wants to run tuners and noise supressors first in the chain.

I always go guitar-modulation-overdrive/distortion/fuzz-delay-reverb-tuner-noisesupressor-amp.

Now you got me curious. Why do you set it up this way? Any specific reason?
Noise suppressor goes first to remove guitar noise or in the loop to remove preamp noise. The only situation I can think of where you'd want it after your chain is if you're doing a lot of daisy chaining from an adapter, but that's silly and can be fixed with a power supply rather than a tone-sucking noise gate.

Modulation before distortion sounds horrible.

Any half-decent tuner is true bypass or has a good buffer.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Noise suppressor goes first to remove guitar noise or in the loop to remove preamp noise. The only situation I can think of where you'd want it after your chain is if you're doing a lot of daisy chaining from an adapter, but that's silly and can be fixed with a power supply rather than a tone-sucking noise gate.

Modulation before distortion sounds horrible.

Any half-decent tuner is true bypass or has a good buffer.

Bollix. Flanger/Phaser/Vibe should always go first for a more natural sound. Put Flanger/Phaser after your distortion and you'll sound less prince and more heathrow airport in package holiday season. Chorus on the other hand always works best after distortion.

I put my tuner next to last, because I use it least. It's on my far left, out of the way, and not under my right foot, where I need the stuff I use the most to be. It is true bypass btw.

Noise gate last (ISP decimator - No tone sucking here, friend) because ISP recommend putting it there. It also gets rid of any extra hiss my singlecoils pick up running thro non true bypass boss pedals etc.

P.S. I use a decent power supply.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by gerardwayne
Bollix. Flanger/Phaser/Vibe should always go first for a more natural sound. Put Flanger/Phaser after your distortion and you'll sound less prince and more heathrow airport in package holiday season.

Depends which phaser.

The Decimator is the best of the bunch, with proper power conditioning and shielding I can't imagine where you'd get any additional noise from unless you have fluorescent lights or a transformer nearby.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Depends which phaser.

The Decimator is the best of the bunch, with proper power conditioning and shielding I can't imagine where you'd get any additional noise from unless you have fluorescent lights or a transformer nearby.

I have those pesky lights alright, and I've just found that as a rule leaving the noise gate last works best for me. It's the best allround position for it, as it protects against unwanted noises creeping in at any stage before the actual cable to the amp. The later you put it, the better you're protected. Although I did use it in my effects loop with my old ss amp. It worked excellent there and took out all of the preamp hiss problems I used to have. I just don't have a loop on my new amps.

If you have an fx loop, you should really put your chorus, delays and reverb type effects in it. That's what it's for.

Try your flangers or phasers here too as you may prefer the sound.
Gear:

Last edited by gerardwayne at Jan 8, 2010,
So now i'm wondering about this ISP decimator. Is it that much better than the Boss NS-2? Reason why i got the boss was i know 2 friends of mine that use them, one in a death metal band the other in a metalcore band. I've heard their tone and the NS-2 didnt suck any tone from their set up. I used one of theirs before i bought mine and it worked great for me. However...i am still getting some hiss, it's not completley silent but it got rid of the awful screeching i was getting.
Quote by Powerslave1724
So now i'm wondering about this ISP decimator. Is it that much better than the Boss NS-2? Reason why i got the boss was i know 2 friends of mine that use them, one in a death metal band the other in a metalcore band. I've heard their tone and the NS-2 didnt suck any tone from their set up. I used one of theirs before i bought mine and it worked great for me. However...i am still getting some hiss, it's not completley silent but it got rid of the awful screeching i was getting.

See some people will swear by one or the other, and damn everyone who disagrees wth them to hell. I say try both (if you can) and see which works best for you. If money was no option, I'd go for the ISP Decimator G-String. It has all the looping features of the boss but with updated noise detection technology. Money is an option for me, though. I just have the basic Decimator.
Gear:

Gain at 0 on the Metal Zone, stick it in the FX loop and use it for the only thing it can do well, a semi parametric EQ.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by gerardwayne

as for why to run a tuner first in your chain, its to get the cleanest signal for accuracy. if youve got some crazy stuff running before it, it can sometimes mess with the tracking.

and i find that modulation really depends on what pedal it is. i think my phaser sounds much better after distortion most of the time, but a lot of people swear by putting phase 90 style phasers first in the chain. so yeah, depends on the pedal.