Learn the chords and how they work.
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Well, the only way to start is to listen to a lot of jazz. Have you done that yet?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
listen to jazz first. Understand some basic theory, the circle of fifths, and how to construct chords. after that, possibly get into some common progressions, such as the circle ii V I progression
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by griffRG7321
Do you listen to jazz? If not do that ALOT before even attempting any.

+1
shred is gaudy music
"I want to learn jazz." i said to my guitar teacher when i began taking lessons..my teacher asked...."what do you mean by jazz?".. im glad he asked...

its a very wide field of study that really takes several years to become proficient in ... and more to be a master....

so can you define the style of jazz you want to learn..what players do you like..

play well

wolf
A real book and a genuine interest in learning jazz can take you far.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
I feel like the TS wouldn't have wanted to play jazz if he didn't listen to it.

But this thread is relevant to my interests, so consider this a bump and a second for more information.
Quote by iforgot120
I feel like the TS wouldn't have wanted to play jazz if he didn't listen to it.
I disagree. I want to play jazz but I don't listen to enough of it. I whip out the occasional Vince Guaraldi or Miles Davis, but I can't say I really listen to jazz.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
I disagree. I want to play jazz but I don't listen to enough of it. I whip out the occasional Vince Guaraldi or Miles Davis, but I can't say I really listen to jazz.

I know what its like. There's so much music that's awesome to play, and I'd love to listen to it all alot, so that I'm familiar with most songs in those genres (well most somewhat well-known songs), but its just so hard to actually find the time to listen to it all.
Unbeknown to most musicians, jazz is simply another style of music. Sure there are more composition techniques used in jazz, but in the end it's pretty similar in that it's just music. You can learn jazz the same way you can learn any other sort of music, listen to a lot of jazz, analyse a lot of jazz and play a lot of jazz. Substitute jazz for any other style of music and you could learn anything.

Although, I'd recommend you get a fake book and at least a Miles Davis or Duke Ellington album.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
The Jazz Theory Book, by Mark Levine. Covers everything you need to know and then some.
There's my way and the wrong way.