I still have my first pedal, a 1970's era tan (made in Taiwan) Ross Distortion. I even still have the box and store receipt! But it no longer works and I'd like to repair it if possible, or maybe it's vintage parts inside or even the metal enclosure could be used for other future projects? Anyone know something about this old school pedal as far as repair/customization tips or advice? Here is an example (not my pics) of what it looks like

Thanks...
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Invader Jim
well what's wrong with it?

Dunno it's just dead. I tried new batteries and nothing. I opened it up and everything looks okay no visible damage. I'll see if my dad can test it with his electronics equipment and multimeter. Maybe it's a simple thing. Otherwise the old IC chip and any other good parts it has could be useful for a psuedo-clone rebuild inside of the same case!
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Invader Jim
i bet the IC is the problem. a new LM741CN would probably fix it. I'd hate to see an old good pedal get canniballized for parts.

I'll double check what IC it has. It's either a 4558 or 1458 (?) when I looked at it last week hoping it was a rare old 741 or something.
I just got home and looking at it again. It is a Ross Distortion model R50, serial number 0114591, made in Taiwan. The IC chip says RC4558N with C126 written below it. I bought it in April 1982 for $30.
ah. i thought the taiwanese ones were only black?

go to smallbearelec.com and get yourself a new 4558. a JRC4558D will work just fine. if that doesnt fix it, report back.
My dad who's 76 and still working is an electronics engineer/tech and can get a 4558 for me next week, along with the 741 that I want for another project. I need to get a complete parts list together this weekend anyway to give him.
lucky. my dad isnt into electronics anymore so i have to pay for my parts just today i got a money order for a part to fix my vintage dyna comp. i ended up reversing the IC and it fried. i finally found some more so im gonna try out a metal can version like the original 1976 dyna comps. that seems to be the only difference between the 70s and early 80s versions; the move from a 3080A metal can to a 3080E plastic chip.

LM741s seem to be the most popular but you could also try a uA741. they've been around since the 60s. iirc they are the first "type" of 741 ever made and are still in production. I hapen to have a NOS 70s uA741 that i've been meaning to pop into my homebrew distortion+ clone.
I think you are more lucky since you actively play with electronics. I'm slowly getting back into it. I first started learning electronics back in 1984 when I attended Control Data Institute for 9 months to get a certificate in computer technology. Electronics (up to transistors) was about 1/3 the course, but I also took a college course on Op Amps which was pretty cool. I became a computer tech though, so I stopped electronics work once PC repair became just board swapping type of troubleshooting and learned DOS and Windows operating systems too. My dad is like the best teacher though. He'll drill it into you 5 different ways to make sure you understand things.
Interesting info Nightraven, probably what happened. Aren't the Korean ones all black?

I'm getting my Dad soon to test each component to see what is damaged. If the IC is bad he will replace it with a socket and new 4558. I'm curious to hear what it sounds like again because back in '82 I used it for distortion with a Les Paul copy (Hondo II) and I want to see how it sounds on my Strat at lower settings for an overdrive effect, since it's supposed to be similar to a DOD 250 circuit.
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jan 9, 2010,
I always thought that case design with the recessed knobs look pretty cool and modern. Maybe it's time for a retro vintage comeback!