The other day I was at the gym and caught a glimpse on the tv of a high-security male prison where the inmates all had to wear pink slippers and shirts. After doing a bit of research, I've found that this occurs at a number of prisons - inmates have had to wear a variety of pink articles, the most popular being pink underwear or boxers, with others such as bedsheets and jumpsuits. Sometimes it's to mark those with sexual misconduct, other times it's just to help 'prevent crime'

Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/US/9907/27/tough.sheriff/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-12-12-dui-chain-gang_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070914/a_pinkprisonsuits14.art.htm
http://www.wayodd.com/prisoners-wear-pink-in-texas-county-jail/v/5446/
(for any further links, just googling 'inmates wear pink' will get you plenty of material)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

As if those new inmates didn't look attractive enough to the lifers.
Now they're gonna dress em up in pink?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Why not? It's incredibly lolsy to see a hardcore criminal dressed in pink and they probably all deserve it anyway. Maybe it's some kind of crazy psychological experiment to try and get them to mellow out.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Aren't they all gay anyways?
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Well I think it looks fabulous.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I look good in pink.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by isabiggles
Why not? It's incredibly lolsy to see a hardcore criminal dressed in pink and they probably all deserve it anyway. Maybe it's some kind of crazy psychological experiment to try and get them to mellow out.

Pseudo-psychological, as there have been studies to show that certain colors influence us in certain directions.

such as the color blue being some kind of appetite depressant, some people go as far as to put a blue light bulb in their refrigerator to help with cravings.

Apparently the red light helps you heal faster.

and green is calming or something.

Why shouldn't pink emasculate and embarrass a hardcore criminal?

GTFO my sig
Deliberately provoking mass murderers and psychotic rapists? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.
This is actually pretty awesome. The guys won't choose to go around naked, but most of them probably hate pink. They're like, forced to look like sissies.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by michal23
Deliberately provoking mass murderers and psychotic rapists? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

That was my take on it. Personally I'd be pissed. I think the humiliation factor isn't worth the degradation. Plus it's just an immature tactic.
'lolz i'm making you wear pink!!!!1!!'
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I don't care, this is one of the things they should've thought about before they committed (insert crime here).
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Well look at the states in the articles: Arizona and Texas, two of the reddest states in the country. Obviously this strategy is playing on homophobia. I don't see how it could possibly in any way be used to rehabilitate inmates, so I'm going to assume that prison guards and wardens simply get kicks out of humiliating inmates.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the color pink itself, and there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but homophobia is pretty rampant in areas of the country like Texas. While I disagree with their homophobia, I consider this psychological torture and potentially endangering inmates. Unless all of them wear pink, the ones wearing pink will be targets for both beatings and rape from the other inmates.

It's quite a paradox in my opinion.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by vintage x metal
That was my take on it. Personally I'd be pissed. I think the humiliation factor isn't worth the degradation. Plus it's just an immature tactic.
'lolz i'm making you wear pink!!!!1!!'

I just always thought that the idea of jail was to rehabilitate, not to punish. Humiliating them in such a childish way isn't really going to help with that.
Good to see that justice systems are still be run by people with the mentality of 10 year old kids.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by michal23
I just always thought that the idea of jail was to rehabilitate, not to punish. Humiliating them in such a childish way isn't really going to help with that.

Exactly. Plus it's reinforcing homophobic notions... There's honestly no reason to be ahsamed of having to wear pink, or to be gay, but doing this only helps maintain male tension which doesn't help the situation whatsoever

Iono, I just thought it was really unnecessary
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by NoiseBox
I don't care, this is one of the things they should've thought about before they committed (insert crime here).

Well, conversely, would YOU every think about this when your girlfriend screws you best bud, and you want to go out and beat his skull in?

Or does the premise of revenge and what have you seem a bit more important than off-color jammies?

GTFO my sig
I've heard it actually prevents violence. I don't have any evidence showing it though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Pink makes me look sexier than I appear

They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
according to Qi, pink was originally a male colour up until the 20th century.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
according to Qi, pink was originally a male colour up until the 20th century.

Baby girls used to be dressed in blue and boys in pink rather than the other way around
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Yeah, people were complaining about it back when prisons first started doing it.

God forbid they be put through that kind of hell, ya know?

Honestly, I think it works. After the initial raeg from having to wear it, it should psychologically calm them down, whether they know it or not.
They're probably more afraid about crimes against fashion rather than crimes that actually hurt people.
Quote by Dark Foxle
pink=more gay rape

... I really hate the Pit sometimes.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by technicolour
personally, I prefer purple.

for gay rape?
GTFO my sig
wow, sucks to be them
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Before the 20th Century, pink was considered a masculine colour.

Qi ftw!
What is more immature? Dressing them in pink, or being upset that you're wearing pink?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I consider this psychological torture

It's quite a paradox in my opinion.

Wearing pink... oh the horror. This is torture: You do have a point with the wearing pink endangering the inmates. But it is ridiculous to say that it is psychological torture to make someone wear a feminine color. Degradation: yes? torture: no.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what you're saying is that, after getting out of the water naked with 5+ guys, you thought that once the girls were around you had better get some clothes on?

Last edited by TheHobbit at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by StewieSwan
What is more immature? Dressing them in pink, or being upset that you're wearing pink?

It's more immature to attempt to piss someone off by forcing them to wear pink than to be pissed off because you're fully aware that someone is deliberately trying to piss you off.