Hi,

I'm pretty new to the tube amp world, just got myself a Vox AC4TV. Very often when I practice I tend to play for half an hour (maybe more, maybe less) go away make tea, come back play some more, go away again.....you get the idea.

Is it better to leave the amp switched on for these periods or to switch off, which is more damaging to the tubes.

Thanks very much

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
When i play and I need to go do something I normally leave it on. But if im going to be gone more than 10 minutes or so I just turn it off.
How long are you leaving it on without playing?

I think it is less stressful to leave the amp on...flipping the tubes on and off constantly can't be good for them...

Most tube amps have a standby switch for that purpose. Unfortunately the AC4tv isn't one of those.

When in doubt, RTFM. =)
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
for 1/2 hout to 1 hour breaks i`d leave it running in standby simply `cos it takes 1/2 hour for the tubes to get to premium operating temperature....

frequent on/off episodes are more likely to shorten the life of your tubes...which can blow at any time btw.
Leaving the tubes on standby for extended periods can lead to cathode poisoning if you do it too often.

I just leave mine flat out running if I want to keep the tubes warm but I'll be busy for a half hour or so.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The AC4 doesn't have a standby switch, otherwise it wouldn't be such problem. The manual doesn't mention anything about whether it's better on or off. Maybe I'll pop over to the Vox site forum and see if I can get an answer from the company (bet I don't!)

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
^ Just leave it on then.

Standby just keeps the tube heaters running. Turning the volume down to nothing and leaving the amp powered up is essentially the same thing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by thrench
The AC4 doesn't have a standby switch, otherwise it wouldn't be such problem. The manual doesn't mention anything about whether it's better on or off. Maybe I'll pop over to the Vox site forum and see if I can get an answer from the company (bet I don't!)

Thrench

bet you do, either from voxman or voxpaulb