I found one of these for sale locally and have a few questions. Is the only difference between the Classic 30 (black) and the Classic 30 (tweed) the cabinet covering?

I've watched a few "gain demos" on youtube and it doesn't sound like it has real high gain capabilities (Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Black Label Society, etc). I assume this amp is more geared towards a "classic rock" sound?

To get higher gain, if I ran a pedal through the clean channel would it sound "good"?
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Yes, the only difference is the covering.

My C30 had plenty of gain for modern metal, it just didn't have the saturation/lowend. Add in an overdrive pedal with the gain set at 0 and the volume at 10 and run it over the distortion channel and you'll get more than enough saturation for what you need.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
They're the same.

It's a classic rock amp but if you crank the pre-amp tubes and use the post as volume you can get some pretty heavy distortion. If you crank the post and use the pre-amp tubes as volume it will be a classic rock or blues sound. Need an overdrive for seriously heavy metal.

Very bright amp. The treble would hurt my ears.
My Micro Cube just doesn't put out enough sound when I want to go a little louder (it's 2w, so that's expected) and it seems to be one of the better reviewed amps in my price range ($300ish)
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
My Micro Cube just doesn't put out enough sound when I want to go a little louder (it's 2w, so that's expected) and it seems to be one of the better reviewed amps in my price range ($300ish)

The Classic 30 will dominate the Micro Cube and you can probably find a used one for $300.

I always liked the C30 because I could play and sound good at low volumes.
It's fendery in it's cleans and overdrives, although I prefer the sound of it to any fender bar the 410 '59 bassman combo. Maybe a litt;e more gain on tap but definitely not an amp would be geared towards the metal guitarist at all. If you like your rock modern, though don't count it out. It's very suitable for the current indie trendy stuff and even Biffy Clyro have used them (although not for the heavier sounds, I don't think). Still, they do call it classic for a reason - add a nice overdrive and you're in classic rock heaven.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Most of the music I play, or aspire to play, is from the mid 80's (metal) to 90's grunge through modern hard rock/metal...maybe it's not as suited to what I'd like then.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
Most of the music I play, or aspire to play, is from the mid 80's (metal) to 90's grunge through modern hard rock/metal...maybe it's not as suited to what I'd like then.

If you can, try it out. But generally it wouldn't suit what you're talking about. It can be a tad too chimey and trebly for that kind of stuff.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Hmm...any other suggestions for a tube amp in the $300-400 range (used or new).
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Well you're asking for an amp that can do anything from 80's metal to grunge to modern hi-gain? I don't think that's possible within budget. You could try to get a used amp with a kick ass clean channel and a really top end used multi fx processor or something like the vox tonelab or the line6 stage pod pro thingy. Even that would be pushing it to be honest. Maybe you should save for a bit longer?
Gear:

Check out the clips I have in my profile. I have one with the gain maxed for metal without any pedals and one with an overdrive.

The C30 is fine for what you want IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm not saying it has to do all of that perfectly...I still play stuff that isn't metal (rock/hard rock) and don't necessarily want to be painted into a corner for only being able to do metal.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
It can do hard rock or old metal by itself. The modern metal will need a boost of some kind.
Quote by evo462
I'm not saying it has to do all of that perfectly...I still play stuff that isn't metal (rock/hard rock) and don't necessarily want to be painted into a corner for only being able to do metal.

should be fine for what you're looking for...especially if you don't play metal all the time. They go used very cheap...you should be able to find the 30 for under $300. Theres a 50 on the local CL for $250...
It can do metal with a set of hot pickups. It doesnt have the low end though. and its voicing is more like a marshall than a 5150. so that might influence your decision i guess. i play very hard rock with a strat copy and no pedals and it sounds great. i use high gain tubes from eurotubes.
well my edwards has pretty hot pickups (seymour duncan jb/59) so i guess i will jst have to try it. theres a like new black classic 30 on craigslist that is nearly new for 325...i was thinking of offering 300 if i like it.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
how does the classic 30 coMpare to the valve king 112?
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
well my edwards has pretty hot pickups (seymour duncan jb/59) so i guess i will jst have to try it. theres a like new black classic 30 on craigslist that is nearly new for 325...i was thinking of offering 300 if i like it.

I used an Edwards E-LP-92SD in all of the Classic 30 clips in my profile, besides the ones marked "Tele" and "WMS."

As far as the VK vs. C30 goes, I'm a metal player and I preferred the C30
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
cool, thanks. i will check your clips out.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501