So I'm getting new strings and I want to get a string cleaning thing. My strings rust really easily so I want to clean them well, but I'm just not good at cleaning them. I saw a video on youtube about this, and I read some reviews. For those of you who have this, what do you think about it? Is it good?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ToneGear-The-String-Cleaner-Cleaning-Tool-790080-i1441824.gc
Not seen it before, but it does look kind of useful. It's cheap enough, I might get one actually
You could make a free one with a piece of cloth and two credit cards.

It's just another useless knickknack someone concocted to make money. They'll probably end up on QVC.
O)))))))))))))))))
Last edited by Sunn_O))) at Jan 8, 2010,
Don't wipe your strings, it will take the oil off them which is there to protect them from rusting in the first place... Just buy new strings you cheap bastard, they are like 5 bucks. I buy new ones every month (or when I break them), and they never rust on me, so you're doing something wrong or you live in a very humid place, in which case use your money to buy a dehumidifier instead..
Quote by naedauuf
Don't wipe your strings, it will take the oil off them which is there to protect them from rusting in the first place... Just buy new strings you cheap bastard, they are like 5 bucks. I buy new ones every month (or when I break them), and they never rust on me, so you're doing something wrong or you live in a very humid place, in which case use your money to buy a dehumidifier instead..

Unless he has coated strings (which I doubt because they are rusting), there is nothing on them to stop them rusting. Wiping the strings will not make them rust faster, it will stop it because after you play your fingers leave oils and crap all over them, which is what causes them to rust.
why not just use alcohol to clean the strings? much easier
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live